Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my new boat for the first time this week, to break in the new motor, but off course took my fishing gear, did not catch anything , but my main purpose was to break in the new motor and get use to the boat and instruments, Anyway got to the lake, a few people was there, and seriously noticed how impatiently the people are , just trying to rush you to unload your boat and specially when loading your boat, and me must thinking ways how to load the boat since I have to get use to loading it to the tailer, and you can just hear how people are muttering to them selves how slow we were. And yes we were having a trouble, cause the boat would not settle in correctly to the tailer. But as people are starting to pack up, NO assistance from anyone just muttering how slow we were are taking or how dumb we were for not knowing how to load the boat. So when I heard that, I really took my time. Not to top the it all, there was 3 open lanes open, why could they have used that? And there we probably maybe 6 boat out there from the entire time we were out in the water.

M

·
0 Posts
I know how you feel. I generally piss people off because I'm by myself and they don't understand that I need a cleated side of a dock to tie off the boat while I run up the ramp to get the truck. I usually stay away from those types of places between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

My biggest peeve is when you are trying to launch at night and there's someone in another lane trying to load or unload with the headlights on. You can't see through a rear view mirror to back up when someone else's headlights are on you. I solved the problem last year by mounting auxiliary lights on my hitch. Usually they get the point when I turn them on.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are by yourself unloading or loading, people should take a consideration and not fuss, but there is always some that is so eager to get in the water.

B

·
0 Posts
i load by myself 90% of the time here are some tips to help
1. get a rope that reaches from 10 feet in back of you trailer to the winch.
2 hook it on your winch and your boat
3 back kyour boat, float it off,
4 pull forward just enough to grab your rope
5 tie it on the dock
for loading you just gotta move fast learn how deep to put your boat on if its to deep it will not center properly

when the ramp is busy and i am unloading my boat i will just float it off the trailer and let it go. when i walk down to the dock there is always someone i can con into a ride to my boat. (that really freaks people out)

L

·
0 Posts
when the ramp is busy and i am unloading my boat i will just float it off the trailer and let it go. when i walk down to the dock there is always someone i can con into a ride to my boat. (that really freaks people out)
Thats a good one. LOL.

It takes some time to learn how to load and unload your boat quickly and efficiently. Once thing that helps loading your boat is to learn how deep your trailer needs to be when loading. Find the spot where your trailer is just deep enough, too deep and you have a hard time getting your boat straight, too shallow and you can't get the boat on the trailer. Most problems I see people having when loading is their trailer is too deep. I have a refrence point where my trailer is just right, on many boats, it is where the front edge of the bottom skids of the trailer are just at the surface of the water. I've had this on both v-hulls and runabouts. Find the spot for your trailer, it will help tremendously.

I'm guilty of laughing at people (laughing, not pissed) who have a hard time loading and unloading. I'll need to remember that I wasn't born launching and trailering a boat. Good luck and thanks for the post reminding me what it's like.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Laker/ thanks for the tips/ it was a 24 ft pontoon that I was trying to learn to trailer, I think my problem was that i was relying on rollers to help me guide the boat to the trailers well those rollers were like a foot off on each side of the pontoon so the boat was just swaying back and forth from the rear, so when I got finally home, I realigned the 4 rollers closer to the pontoon. hopefull it will work, On my other boat which is 21 foot with a Cuddy, I had boat guides so it was not hard to trailer, that was assuming with this pontoon but it was not.. it was harder ..

M

·
0 Posts
laker taker said:
I have a refrence point where my trailer is just right, on many boats, it is where the front edge of the bottom skids of the trailer are just at the surface of the water.
I can't see my trailer out the back window - I use the wheel wells to do the same thing. The advantage to this is you aren't completely floating, but the boat is still moveable...once I get the bow tied in, if I'm not perfectly level, I'll turn the motor right or left and hit the throttle until the boat "pops" into the right position. Make sure your emergency brake is on :eek:

I've never owned a trailer with rollers though so I'm not sure if this technique will work for you.

Another thing that's important to remember when you get in a hurry at a crowded place is to make sure that nobody has stolen the plug out of the boat before you launch. The guy that sold me mine keyed me in on this important piece of information.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh i am sorry, did not make my self clear, the rollers that I was refering to are pontoon guides that has rollers, but they were so far apart for the boat to even centered when I boat this new boat, I had to adjusted it closer to atleast couple of inches away from the pontoons, so now even if on rough waters once those pontoons are touching the rollers it will still be in perfect position, Oh I know about those plugs, I have been close not plugging, but I have seen a maybe a 30 foot bayliner at carter that forgot to plug there boat, and how fast that was filling up with water. that would that only be imbarassing but costly...

·
Registered
127 Posts
congrats on  your new pontoon. I bought one last year in Mo. and had to do the same thing moved the guide rails out to within a couple inches of pontoons and now all I have to do is center or stradle the guide rails and run it up to the stop, hook it and boat is loaded pontoons will set into their groove no matter what.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Liquor, I figured the guide rollers were to far inward like a foot off the pontoons and there are 4 of them.. I hope with this adjustment it would make thing so much easier. On my cuddy, I bought some guides and as long as the boat touches the guides on both sides, you are petty much for sure that the boat will pretty much sit correctly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
hope it works for you. mine were set so far off from the factory the pontoons could flat miss the cradels they set in. mine are not rollers but boards monted on brackets front to back. and are on inside of pontoons when on the trailer. now I just have to stradle them with pontoons and it will be in the cradels everytime. I have missed them once but I was not driving well I was suppose to be but some lady was showing us her behind and well I was looking at her and not the trailer.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
arieldg,

Too bad we are already seeing some of the impatient people at the dock so early in the season when the crowds are still small. From my experience, the worst times for crabby people are when the docks are crowded, so I just avoid those times. I've launched my boat by myself many times, mind you, and I can do it fairly quickly. However, waiting and then rushing to launch or load on a weekend at a place like Boyd or Chatfield is not usually my cup 'o tea.

I also like to launch and load from the more isolated ramps, even if they are a bit out of the way. I've seen some very peculiar things over the years such as a fellow in a huge cigarette boat at Chatfield launch at the west ramp and then immediately load at the south ramp just to show off his boat to everyone. I've also had a drunk guy chop up the bunks on my trailer with his prop and then offer me 20 bucks for a repair. So I guess you might say that I like to practice defensive launching! ;)

L

·
0 Posts
I've also had a drunk guy chop up the bunks on my trailer with his prop and then offer me 20 bucks for a repair.
That sounds like a story I'd like to hear. LOL

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
liquorbox said:
  I have missed them once but I was not driving well I was suppose to be but some lady was showing us her behind and well I was looking at her and not the trailer.
talking about a distraction!! :eek:

·
Registered
525 Posts
What lake are you referring to in this post by the way? Not sure if they make guide ons for pontoon boats but for regular boats they help a ton when loading. If you are referring to one of the Denver Metro lakes with all the impatient people out there, just look at the mess on I-25 for starters. This state is getting more and more crowded every year and less enjoyable in some places also.

·
0 Posts
I'll tell you about what happend at Douglas to me last year. A guy pulled down the boat ramp as I was loading my boat. Wanted to know how long I was going to be because he was by himself and needed the boat dock. Told him I would hurry best I could. That didn't seem to humor him. He jumps in his boat to start it. Guess what? Dead battery! He asks if I have any jumper cables. My wife says no right away but I did have some so I let him borrow them. I get my boat loaded and pulled out of the way. He got his boat started and gave my cables back. Now the good part. He gasses the motor in reverse to get off of the trailer. No go. I got a good chuckle out of that. Then I asked him if he had enough room now. That went over well. Anyway like the good guy I am, sometimes, I told him if he would gas the boat while I picked up the bow it would come off the trailer. He didn't think so but it did work. Anyway while we were leaving he just waved like he had new friends. Don't think so!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trout- the lake I was in was not a Denver Metro lake, but I am not going to name the lake, But yes I do see a crowd developing in this state, but if you ask me it is still not bad yet but I am sure it will, when you see the same bumper for miles and regardless what fwy you take like L.A Calif. There will always be some impatient people regardless where you go, but then again there are some nice considerate people out there that will give you a hand or give you some advices.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Crash was an interesting movie for me. It showed people in both good and bad light... it depended on the day and their situation that day.

Patience is a virtue... and we all have bad days... I know I have gotten impatient at the ramp at times, and on another days been thankful someone lent a helping hand.

·
Registered
127 Posts
see some good screw ups on the ramps. We were camping at horsetooth by the marina 10yrs ago watched some drunk and his wife loading a 38ft bayliner. he finaly got trailer backed in after several attemps and set it way deep bumper on truck touching the water. then gets in his boat pulls up to trailer and nails the throtle. put the bow of the bayliner onto the left corner of the tailgate and box. bent the crap out of truck and ripped a big gash in right side of bow on the boat with the winch. then blamed his old lady for not watching. wish I would have had a video camera.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts