Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is the defacto place to find out what the rules are on each lake here in colorado, for things such as hours of boating use, motor size restriction, no gas motors only electric, wake or wakeless, ramps info, use fees etc. - that sort of stuff?
i have a book called colorado lakes/reservoirs, and it has some good info, maps etc. but it is not as specific as i'd like.
i have been looking for this info, up to date, and can't seem to find it.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I to would like to know that. Just remember, that just cause there are rules doesn't mean there always enforced eeerrrr Chatfield eeeerrrrr

-Jay

·
Registered
594 Posts
The speed limt, noise limit, and no-wake zones are more suggestions than laws there! Don't get me started on PWCs!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DOW property booklet has a lot of that kind of stuff.

Add in the State Parks boating regulations book and I think you have a comprehensive view of the all the boating regulations.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best thing is that the entire state has a 40 mph. law on all lakes. My little boat with a 115hp outboard can go about 37 mph (gps). I never get passed by a cigar boat at Chatfield. ::)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Unfortunately there are a lot of people who can go faster the 40 mph and do at any opportunity. The worst time at Chatfield is around sunset and early morning, I guess they think they are less likely to be caught. What is more likely is to run someone over. :'(

Dan

·
Registered
270 Posts
They should set up the system more like Nebraska. Put the Conservation Officers on commission. That way they write more tickets. We all woundered why they target out of state plates It's because they don't have any money to pay the officers and they get commission for tickets they write. They hire retired Officers as the Parks Officers and they drive around in their personal boats and check everybody out. I talked to some guys from KS and said that's the system for the small state parks. I'm sure it's different at Big Mac, but think about it for Chatfield for a couple of years a guy cuold make a mint.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MobyJ said:
They should set up the system more like Nebraska. Put the Conservation Officers on commission. That way they write more tickets. We all woundered why they target out of state plates It's because they don't have any money to pay the officers and they get commission for tickets they write. They hire retired Officers as the Parks Officers and they drive around in their personal boats and check everybody out. I talked to some guys from KS and said that's the system for the small state parks. I'm sure it's different at Big Mac, but think about it for Chatfield for a couple of years a guy cuold make a mint.
I'd do it for free. I'd start at the ramp. If you are prepping your boat on the ramp, instead of loading and unloading the boat, then you get a fine. Just like the nimrods at 11 Mile on Saturday. 10:00 on a Saturday morning and they backed halfway down the ramp taking the tarp off.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I would second having someone at the ramp.  So many people go out unprepared, no life jackets, overloaded boats, no fire extinguisher and unregistered boats.  Last time I went to 11-mile the ranger was checking everyone at the dock and if you pulled up to put in and started prepping your boat, (taking covers off, putting in new spark plugs etc) he made them pull out until they were ready. 

At the ramp other than releasing the hook at the bow and maybe tosing in your life jackets and cooler everything should be ready to go.

But definitely the "water police" need to be on the water enforcing speeds, passing and making it a safe place for everyone.

Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree!!! Have your stuff together prior to getting to the ramp. I think if I seen someone taking their cover on the ramp I could probably not control myself.

They SHOULD be fined....

Just my .02

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jdferguson said:
I agree!!!  Have your stuff together prior to getting to the ramp.  I think if I seen someone taking their cover on the ramp I could probably not control myself.

They SHOULD be fined....

Just my .02
I'm more passive agressive. I just backed around them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts