Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has taken this course. I am looking into taking it. Just wondering how hard the test really was. I expect most of it to be pretty difficult. The way i understand the book is that once you turn 16 your free to drive a boat. No safety course. Is this true?

D

·
0 Posts
I cannot recall if it was mandatory, my wife's insistence, for reduced boating insurance rates or just because it was the right thing to do, but I took it about 17 years ago. From what I remember, the test was not that hard. More like a driving test (the book portion). Learning port, starboard, and basic navigation were the most difficult (and not really at that) parts.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't want to sound bad, but my son passed the hunters safety test at 9 I still wouldn't let him carry anything bigger than a BB gun. He's amost 12 now and has put in some time on the trap range I feel better about his skills now after shooting in a controlled setting. I can't see the boaters safety course being that hard.

On the other hand if it improves the boating safety record like the hunters safety course did for hunting I'm all for it. I'll probably sit throught the course with him when he turn's 14.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Hunters Saftey test was mostly common sense. Same with the Drivers Permit Test (maybe the driving test written part ??). I am hoping that the Boating Test is the same. If anyone takes the test soon, share the hard questions with us. I found that in other states you can take the test over the internet for free. I think i am going to take those tests for practice. Wish anyone who takes the test the best of luck!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sites that Tomcat posted are like the websites i am talking about. Of course Colorado only offers the class in a "classroom like enviroment" or we could take teh test over the internet. :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts