Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First one was a good deal.

I thought so too, but you know, you'd need to go give it a good look-see in person. The Force motor was made by Chrysler, right? i have no idea if parts are still available. Seems like there used to be a ton of them around. I did like that the boat seemed well set up for fishing, with lots of rod holders, full windshield and even a kicker motor. My concerns would be condition of the fiberglass (scratches/leaks), electrical, soft floors or transom.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I thought so too, but you know, you'd need to go give it a good look-see in person. The Force motor was made by Chrysler, right? i have no idea if parts are still available. Seems like there used to be a ton of them around. I did like that the boat seemed well set up for fishing, with lots of rod holders, full windshield and even a kicker motor. My concerns would be condition of the fiberglass (scratches/leaks), electrical, soft floors or transom.
Force Motors have a very long history going back to the early 1900's. Chrysler owned them from the 60's, but they were forced to sell in 1983 as part of the loan guarantees/bailout.

The boat in question is a 1992, by that time Force was owned by Mercury Marine, and was actually manufactured in their Fond du Lac, WI plant.

Force parts are very easy to find, and the motors have a reputation of being easy to work on.

I had a Smokercraft that was probably about the same vintage as this boat, powered by a Force 50 HP motor. While I only had it a couple of years, it was VERY reliable. The only bad thing about it was it was incredibly inefficient with fuel.

Solid floor and transom, a 8 HP 4-stroke Merc kicker, rod holders, 2 fish finders, and 4 down riggers. The hull is welded aluminum.

Trailer had the axle serviced last year, brand new tires, and electric brakes.

Yes, it was a good deal.;D

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Force Motors have a very long history going back to the early 1900's. Chrysler owned them from the 60's, but they were forced to sell in 1983 as part of the loan guarantees/bailout.

The boat in question is a 1992, by that time Force was owned by Mercury Marine, and was actually manufactured in their Fond du Lac, WI plant.

Force parts are very easy to find, and the motors have a reputation of being easy to work on.

I had a Smokercraft that was probably about the same vintage as this boat, powered by a Force 50 HP motor. While I only had it a couple of years, it was VERY reliable. The only bad thing about it was it was incredibly inefficient with fuel.

Solid floor and transom, a 8 HP 4-stroke Merc kicker, rod holders, 2 fish finders, and 4 down riggers. The hull is welded aluminum.

Trailer had the axle serviced last year, brand new tires, and electric brakes.

Yes, it was a good deal.;D

Hey, here it is again! ;D https://denver.craigslist.org/boa/d/arvada-1992-spectrum-1900-by-blue-fin/6860051468.html

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I wonder if someone bought it and is now trying to flip it... My first boat was the 1606 model, with a 70 HP Force engine. It was a 1993 model with the same blue and white color scheme. It was a solid little boat. I bought it in 1993 for $3,100. Sold it 2 years later for the same price. I bought for less than book value, and paid for it in cash with my first "real" bonus from my first "real" job, so I had little financial worries about it. Lots of good memories, with the caveat that "good" is not necessarily "positive," but more like "memorable," like water coming through the floor because I forgot the plug, or anchor tossed over board without thinking about whether it was tethered to anything, or friend getting himself an unintended eyebrow piercing... ;D

The number of boats for sale jumped from the winter, but there does not seem to be very many used boats for sale. There is only 1 I would think about buying, if I were in the market for a used boat: https://westslope.craigslist.org/boa/d/montrose-2000-crestliner-185-sportfish/6862413421.html
I think the boating industry is slowing down? Fewer people trading up => fewer used boat being sold.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
I wonder if someone bought it and is now trying to flip it... My first boat was the 1606 model, with a 70 HP Force engine. It was a 1993 model with the same blue and white color scheme. It was a solid little boat. I bought it in 1993 for $3,100. Sold it 2 years later for the same price. I bought for less than book value, and paid for it in cash with my first "real" bonus from my first "real" job, so I had little financial worries about it. Lots of good memories, with the caveat that "good" is not necessarily "positive," but more like "memorable," like water coming through the floor because I forgot the plug, or anchor tossed over board without thinking about whether it was tethered to anything, or friend getting himself an unintended eyebrow piercing... ;D

The number of boats for sale jumped from the winter, but there does not seem to be very many used boats for sale. There is only 1 I would think about buying, if I were in the market for a used boat: https://westslope.craigslist.org/boa/d/montrose-2000-crestliner-185-sportfish/6862413421.html
I think the boating industry is slowing down? Fewer people trading up => fewer used boat being sold.

That Honda is worth 12K alone-

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good electronics and trolling motor too. I just sent that link to a buddy who is looking on the western slopes. thanks AO.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I'd be cautious buying a Honda. I don't know what it is like on the Western Slope, but last time I checked in the Metro area, it is nearly impossible to find someone to work on them. A few years ago the only place that would work on them was Sun Honda, and they required you to take it off the boat.

If someone is serious about buying it, I would do a little homework and see what marina can work on them first.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I'd be cautious buying a Honda. I don't know what it is like on the Western Slope, but last time I checked in the Metro area, it is nearly impossible to find someone to work on them. A few years ago the only place that would work on them was Sun Honda, and they required you to take it off the boat.

If someone is serious about buying it, I would do a little homework and see what marina can work on them first.
Alumacraft appears to be the only boat manufacturer that still offers Honda outboards. Wouldn't Valentine Marine offer service for Honda engines, given that they sell Alumacraft boats with Honda engines?

The boating industry has gone through some vertical integration with BRP (Evinrude) owning Alumacraft, Brunswick (Mercury) owning Cretliner and Lund, and Yamaha owning Skeeter and G3. Actually, it seems to me that Skeeter and G3 were started by Yamaha, and other engine manufacturers might have moved to buy boat manufacturers to to stay competitive. I don't believe these vertical integrations are good for the consumer because they limit engine choice.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts