Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

101 - 120 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Good to know. I currently have a 19 pitch, 14.5" diameter prop. On my boat last year, I had a 17 by 13.25. Not sure I would want to mess with the pitch because I fish quite a bit out east, where the lakes a bigger and speed matters more. I was thinking about a stainless steel prop though. My second boat could get to 45 mph on a good day, by myself, at lake MacConaughy, and it only had a 125 HP engine. But it had a stainless steel prop, and it never had a tank full of gas. ;D Who the hell needs 36 gallons on our lakes? That boat was lighter and not as wide, which helped too.
My 125 2 cycle Merc on my 20 foot Monark with 2 people is propped this way.
15 pitch for mountain lakes (11 mile, Spinney)
17 for Chatfield
19 for Powell
As mentioned the key is wide open throttle RPMs
Pick a prop pitch according to the way use it most.
2 people, 4 people etc.
A four stroke has more torque than a 2 stroke IMO.
I would try a 17 pitch for higher elevations.
Your 19 for lower elevations.
:)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
My 125 2 cycle Merc on my 20 foot Monark with 2 people is propped this way.
15 pitch for mountain lakes (11 mile, Spinney)
17 for Chatfield
19 for Powell
As mentioned the key is wide open throttle RPMs
Pick a prop pitch according to the way use it most.
2 people, 4 people etc.
A four stroke has more torque than a 2 stroke IMO.
I would try a 17 pitch for higher elevations.
Your 19 for lower elevations.
Yep, I might have to do the opposite of what I intended to do and keep the current 19 pitch aluminum prop for lower elevation. Get a 17 pitch stainless steel prop for Colorado. Eventually get a second stainless steel prop for lower elevation. It depends on how the boat performs when I am finally able to go full throttle. I'm taking it to Kansas next week and in early May. Powell in June. Lake MacConaughy in June/July. By then, I should be done with the break in and will have used at a range of elevations. I have never taken any of my boats to mountain lakes. I have no plans to take the current boat to the hills this year, but maybe next year.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Clean looking boat here.

I think the sterndrive fishing boats are interesting. Seems like you may get more boat for your $ - lots of people are afraid of a little extra work for winterization.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/55735037

Dang, seems like lot of boat for the money! I do like the idea of having all that power. I recall that the sterndrive transmission came about as a way that some folks figured out how to put a car motor in a boat. So, what all is involved in winterizing?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Dang, seems like lot of boat for the money! I do like the idea of having all that power. I recall that the sterndrive transmission came about as a way that some folks figured out how to put a car motor in a boat. So, what all is involved in winterizing?
My last sterndrive had a 350 in it. It had 4 plastic screws you had to pull out to drain the engine. They were very easy access. Literally took less than 2 minutes to drain the motor to keep it from freezing.

I know some of the 4.3 V6 have a single point drain.

Not sure about your comment about the transmission. Sterndrives have been around for a long time. Used to be that it was much easier to get more HP in a sterndrive than a outboard. I think they still have a cost advantage if you are looking for something above 200 HP.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The term "Death Boat" is related to the owners ability to have some common sense IMO.
Never was scared in my last smaller boat.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I see small boats (14'-18') on the saltwater in Hawaii all the time, boat of choice for local fishermen. The boat carries or has a built in giant cooler, local fisherman sell their catch, smaller boats with outboards are more economical and easier to get in and out of small boat ramps.
I have a 23' cat with twin 115's, a lot more square footage when the beam runs to the bow and the ride of a cat is hard to beat.
As far as propping goes you need to be close to max rpm trimmed up wide open for best performance.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It's Slayer's term so we should let him weigh in. But I'd say yes, based on my own experience. ::) You know it when you see it. Smaller boats with low sides are fine for ponds and such. Colorado has volatile weather and the winds come up so fast and can get you in trouble real quick.
I’d have to disagree looks just like my old 16’ Lund, had that out in all kinds of wind and waves, plenty of bow and not a problem if you know how to operate. BTW why do we care what a shore-fisherman says about boats, lol.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I’d have to disagree looks just like my old 16’ Lund, had that out in all kinds of wind and waves, plenty of bow and not a problem if you know how to operate. BTW why do we care what a shore-fisherman says about boats, lol.
I heard a tale of some guy bearing a striking resemblance to you using a snowmobile as a boat. Is there any truth to that, or strictly urban legend? :)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
BTW why do we care what a shore-fisherman says about boats, lol.
Now, now... This shore fisherman loves it when that wind is over 30 mph, there is no boat in sight, and the wipers are on fire from shore. So busy, we can't find the time to enjoy that cold drink. ;D

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
A small boat requires you to learn how to navigate rough water if you're on it enough. I much prefer a big comfortable boat also but you gotta start small sometimes.

101 - 120 of 172 Posts