Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
A small boat requires you to learn how to navigate rough water if you're on it enough. I much prefer a big comfortable boat also but you gotta start small sometimes.
Yes sir!
You still have to have the smarts to get a small boat back to the dock or swim.

:)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If the weather is bad enough that I don't want to take out my small boat...I probably don't want to fish in a larger boat either. Advantages of a larger boat. You can take more people with you. Not always an advantage scheduling fishing trips around others. You can move quickly from one location to another a mile or two away. Sometimes an advantage. Oftentimes a disadvantage because you give up on a location too quickly. I've had bigger boats. But truthfully, I love my small boats. They're fish catching machines.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
They're fish catching machines.
They are fish catching machines indeed! Or, perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that you are a fish catching machine, regardless of the boat. Different perspectives. My fishing trips are more like a social events. Plus, those long drives aren't fun by yourself. Over the years, I have only driven to fish out of state once. I am a firm believer that, if a man catches a fish and there is no friend/family members to see it, it didn't happen, pics or not. ;D

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Yup more fun talkin chit with your mates.

Used to bellyboat 11-mile spinney antero granby willys great for catching fish, but as I age I find the belly boat not so comfy anymore-

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I understand AO. I've been there. I've taken many trips with family and friends over the years. Lots of memories made. But, I also enjoy the solitude. I like fishing the way I like to fish...where and when I want to fish...when I'm leaving to go fishing and how long I'm staying. If I'm alone and anyone is in a bad mood on the boat. Well, I know who to blame.

Over the years, the kids grew up. Friends had families and the commitments that come with it. Many bought boats themselves. Haha...six friends don't need six boats. And most like to fish...but don't love to fish. I like to be able to grab and go...toss the boat in the pickup and head out on a moments notice. Big lake..small lake..ramp..no ramp. It doesn't matter.

Having fished many of the lakes in Colorado over the years.. I've found out that I just don't need a big boat to have fun. Now, my boys are back into fishing...we still go together and have a great time. Haha other than them being big on smack talk. We just bring our own boats.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Yep to each his own. You can cacth fish from a piece of plywood but it wouldn't be much fun-

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Dave, your results speak for themselves! :thumb:
Yep!

I understand AO. I've been there. I've taken many trips with family and friends over the years. Lots of memories made. But, I also enjoy the solitude. I like fishing the way I like to fish...where and when I want to fish...when I'm leaving to go fishing and how long I'm staying. If I'm alone and anyone is in a bad mood on the boat. Well, I know who to blame.

Over the years, the kids grew up. Friends had families and the commitments that come with it. Many bought boats themselves. Haha...six friends don't need six boats. And most like to fish...but don't love to fish. I like to be able to grab and go...toss the boat in the pickup and head out on a moments notice. Big lake..small lake..ramp..no ramp. It doesn't matter.

Having fished many of the lakes in Colorado over the years.. I've found out that I just don't need a big boat to have fun. Now, my boys are back into fishing...we still go together and have a great time. Haha other than them being big on smack talk. We just bring our own boats.
Different stage in life, different perspective, different fishing habits... and, what some of you may not realize, different culture. Mainstream American culture is more individualistic. My culture is more communal. Nothing wrong either way; it's just a different mindset. The younger generation (the ones born in the US) is already changing.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Come on AO. You know that was you. Just couldn't decide whether to fish from shore or the boat. So, you compromised.
I have occasionally beached my boat and continued the "hunt" on shore after a fruitless boating session. This was no intentional beaching though. ;D It looks like it was at night (light pole is on). My initial guess was that they might have ran out of trolling motor battery juice (I have before) and could not scramble quickly enough to turn on the main motor. However, the trolling motor is not down. I'm guessing they were going at a good speed, judging by the extent of the damage to the hull in one of the pictures. Might have hit one of the partially submerged rocks in the background. They then lost control and were pushed against the shore.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts