Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I’ve never bought a new fishing boat. But I bought my Malibu new. And it spent a ton of time at the dealer the first two years.

Now a fishing boat isn’t nearly as complicated, but I’d still expect to work some bugs out. Plus have a ton of depreciation.

And any boat you buy today, including the Lund I posted, really should easily last another 15 years if it is well maintained.

I’m a bit biased on new vs used fishing boats right now. But guys like you keep guys like me in business. So we are both doing something right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depreciation the first couple of years is pretty heavy. I know you don't believe in book values, but I did not buy my boat for much more than book value on a 2018 Lund Impact (mine is a 2019). I shopped around, haggled, got the maximum manufacturer's discount in January and didn't get a bunch of options that don't really add any value to a boat. I have no intention of selling any time soon anyway.

As far as a 17 year old boat lasting another 15 years... of course, but I'll bet it takes more $ to maintain it. The current Mercury 4 stroke is a proven motor. They had some bugs with it when it first came out (and most new motors seem to have a bug or two). I have said that I am a Spartan kind of guy, but a new boat does provide a bit more bling than a new one. My wife justified buying a new construction home because you can sit on a toilet no one has used before (unless the construction people used it). I can kind of see her point of view. ;D Of course, you could also just get a new toilet seat, but it ain't the same... :D If I were to buy a boat cash, I would limit it to $20K and below. I financed my current boat, and my payment on it is barely a trip to the grocery store. Not gonna be poorer or richer with or without it, so it makes no difference. I could go on with other factors, but there's no need to keep justifying my choice vs someone else's...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
161 - 172 of 172 Posts