Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if any one else has the same problem as me. When ever I stare at my indicater,making shere that I dont miss a hit,nothing ever strikes. Yesterday when I was fishing Spinney I threw out some nymphs under my indicater and watched that thing for 30 -40 minutes. Nothing, I then glanced away for 1 second looked back and it was under. This happens to me all the time. Its not a problem when I hook them,but that is not always the case. Is it just me or does this happen to any one else??????

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Any little pause on that indicator lift the rod. When we were there for the get together the kokanee were hitting so light it was difficult to even see the strikes.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It goes without saying that fish only strike for me when I'm not looking. In fact, I don't really know how to use an indicator. Luckily, I use those self setting hooks ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple of things I'd ask you....1st, what type of indicator are you using...I've tried several of the foam varieties, but keep coming back to the large synthetic fiber varieties that are attached to a small ring. Reason being is they are so much more responsive to suttle strikes. Generally when you see a guide on the river you'll find this is what they are using as well. Second, set the hook at any movement, pause or twitch....the strikes that suck it under water are few and far between. Lastly, a tip from a book I read, don't just watch the indicator, but also the 2x2 area of water around it - look for any flash or movement which could indicate a fish moving for your fly....and set the hook.....hook sets are free so take advantage :) They say something like 1/3 of the strikes will not move an indicator at all, so key to be watching the water (and to be wearing a good set of polarized glasses)

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I bobber fish on lakes I don't wait 30-40 minutes for a take. No wonder you were distracted. 10 minutes max at any location without a bite and then I move or change something . . .whether depth or flies. If fish are in the area, you'll know quick if they like your offering.

I agree with setting up on any movement of the indicator . . .and even once in a while just 'cuz. Sometimes you'll stick a fish when you pick up the rig to re-cast or check for weeds.

TP

·
Registered
176 Posts
check out blue quill anglers site, pat dorsey has an indicator system that I started using this summer, works fantastic. He showed me how to use the indicator as a depth control, first adjustment before adding/removing weight. just slide the indicator up or down depending on the depth you want, the indicator actually suspends the fly at a level you want. As for missing strikes, yeah- all the time!! watching fo flash or any movement is just as important as wtching the indicator, I set sometimes just on a hunch- no harm no foul!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You must fool the fish gods. Pretend you're not looking at it. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
bill reed said:
You must fool the fish gods. Pretend you're not looking at it. ;)
Haha thats probably the best advice so far. :p

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I notice this problem of overly watching the indicator in a lot of people. Often times however, the real reason people tend to get fewer strikes is because they simply mend their lines to much. This can sometimes be out of bordom, or the overly emphasized fear of drag. Some might take this with a grain of salt but drag is really not as drastic as its made out to be. make one mend and let the the rig drift as naturally and undesturbed as possible. When your not looking you tend to do this. Case in point, as I took a time out this summer to take a dip, I put my rod under my arm as I was opening the can. I even called it, I said hey boys here comes the under the arm hook set....If I'm lying Im dying....WHAM--FISH ON!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts