Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing another decent fish at the hole last weekend, I've been thinking about using the boga grip to help land fish. Good idea, or bad?
I do have a gaff, but hate to use it. I don't keep many fish , and hate to injure any fish I'm going to release.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's usually what I try to do. Or get a finger under their gill. Just curious to see if anyone uses a boga ice fishing.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I always use boga's with pike. But with trout, macks or other fish that can't bite me, I'll just use my hand. Just roll up your sleeve, pin em against the wall of ice and scoop em out.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Altidude, people love Bogas, of course, and it's easy to see why. So convenient, especially with the scale built-in! At first I thought I would be an enthusiastic owner of one, but for the kind of fishing I like, I decided against it. Specifically, I read an article (sorry I've lost track of it) about their effect on big mackinaw (how it can dislocate their spine) and that settled it for me. Maybe with smaller fish or certain species that's not an issue, I don't know. But basically I'm agreeing with Riv & Slimer. Might just do a bit of research on what it does to heavy fish when they are suspended vertically.

My 2¢ -- get back to me if you find I am misinformed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts