Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I bought one off e-bay. Not an official boga grip but close and it was only twenty bucks. I have a dirital scale at home and I weighed different items on it and then on the boga. The boga grip was only an ounce or two off. It also made me realize how big a ten pound fish is. I don't think it is super accurat in the lower range but wht weigh a 2 lb fish. I got mine to hold on to toothy fish more than to weigh fish.

L

·
0 Posts
My buddy has one. Bought it several years ago for our Canada trips.

If you learn how to handle large fish, the boga grip is just extra (heavy) equipment you don't need and won't use. IMO & experience. But, if it works for you, use it. Just remember to always support a large fish's midsection to support the spine. Many people want to just grab a fish by the jaw and hoist it up. That could cause a mortal injury if releasing the fish.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I purchased the rapala version ( Im cheap ) just to land wipers. I almost always catch them with mutli hooked topwater lures and this device will save you from getting impaled.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you are concerned about weighing the fish unsupported, you could try this neat trick.

Find some scrap netting, and old pillow case, or get an old landing net (or steathily cut the netting out of your friend's net) and trim it into a rectangular shape. When you catch a fish that you want to weigh, place it the middle of the netting, hook all four corners to the scale, and heft. If you use a heavy net, once you've taken the fish out, weigh the net and subtract that from the fish's weight (like I'll ever do that).

I made one of these for carp fly fishing (carp don't have great jaws for hanging) and it works great. Smells a little funny by the end of the season, but then so do I.

L

·
0 Posts
But why is it not good for the fish just to hang it???
A large, heavy fish such as a Northern, Musky, Mack or even a really large Walleye should have their mid-section supported when lifting them as it could injure the spine and add to mortality rates. The buoyancy of water supports the fish while swimming, but when you pull a lunker out of the water it's spine should be supported as it could be separated.

This doesn't always happen, but it could. In-Fisherman did a write up on this a few years ago.

·
Registered
153 Posts
that answers one of my questions... but how are you supposed to get an accurate weight if you are holding part of the fish?? or supporting it by its belly?? it just cant work...

L

·
0 Posts
yep, that's right, it won't work unless you have a cradle.

I almost always catch them with mutli hooked topwater lures and this device will save you from getting impaled.   
I grab a large fish by the gill plate (that won't hurt a fish if youre careful) with one hand, remove the bait from the fish's mouth with pliers or hook removers, cradle the fish's belly with the hand you just had the pliers in and pick him up out of the water.

Of course some fish that doesn't work for, or the little metal boca grip. Sometimes you need a 12 guage slug.

109 inches, aprox. 300 lbs.
On display at Aurora Sportsmans Wh :eek: rehouse

1 - 13 of 13 Posts