Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girlfriend and I went down to Cozumel a couple weeks ago and I couldn't pass on an opportunity to try my hand at chasing some bonefish in the lagoon flats.

This was my very first time I have been out on the ocean (granted we could see the coast the entire time) let alone fishing for a salt water species. Apparently the week that we went was an unusual weather pattern for them as the weather never got above 80 (Ivan, my guide acted like this was cold) and it was fairly windy most of the days. The temperature was awesome but the wind made the "spot and stalk" of the bones a little difficult due to the water being choppy.

Once the sun finally came out we were able to get into some good groups and I had an absolute blast. For those of you who don't know as I did not know before I went, bones are very skiddish and I would compare targeting them more to hunting than fishing- subtle quiet movements and pin point casts are crucial. Anyways, I could ramble on about the trip for another 20 pages- long story short, if you love to fly fish and ever find yourself in an area where you can chase these powerful fish I highly recommend it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Nice. I was in cancun this summer and went out on a little skiff for 8 hours literally a five minutes boat ride from the hotel I was at. It was my first time it on flats like that. I've fished a lot of saltwater but never with a fly. In the morning we started out looking for tarpon in the mangroves. It was amazing. There were nice tarpon all over. My heart almost pounded out my chest. To be continued...
Battery gonna die

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice!

That's something I would like go after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts