Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this is an awesome site!!! Incredibly insightful.

I have two questions about two different places.

First, I have never fished Bonny. Planning on going in the next week. When I'm there where is the best place to fish from the shore for catfish? What baits? What's the best time? I usually fish for cats at night, but some of the posts sound like there are good bites throughout the day?

Second, I've fished elevenmile my whole life for trout; never for pike. I see guys out there a lot in their waders going for the big dogs. Where is the best place or places at elevenmile to fish in waders for pike?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Utico;

Snag and I have only fished Bonny once and that has been years ago it was out of a boat and the wind was crazy. We did pretty well on walleye. Several on this forum have fished the dam area and if you look thru some old post you will read that the dam area is where they have had a great deal of luck.

I read on the Bonny home page today that the boat ramp will be open this coming week end and this week end only for awhile.

Snag is undecided if he's going to join me but come wind or rain, me and my boat will be there. I will let all know if I am able to break my unlucky steak.

NOLUCK

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
1eyeRed had some good info on Bonny, he should be able to point you in the right direction as far as catfishing locations there. when you go be sure to post a report, i was thinking about giving it a try out there also.

another things is check the reports from the past week...i think there are a few postings on Bonny, i seem to remember someone saying they caught a bunch of cats out there...

im not sure about hotspots at 11 mile for pike. i generally have just fished the shallower bay areas on the south side near the inlet, it depends on what the water levels look like. any bay with water temps in the 50s should be good this time of year...if i was you i would just go back to the areas where you have seen guys wading before...might be a good place to start. hit these area mid morning, and dont be afraid to go back and fish locations you hit earlier...pike move a lot, and sometime bays that held nothing at 10 am hold lots of fish at 1pm. theres a few guys on this board that fish 11 mile, im sure will give input when they see this post.

Good luck, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I went to bonny sunday. I fished on the dam didnt fish from shore. I think your cheapest bet is to catch crawfish. Also with crawfish u have a good chance of catching other fish, maybe a whole bunch of whitebass like wiper_stalker did. I fished at 5am and the cats where biting right away. I threw on line out far and one close i had better success with the close one but this was on the dam. Im pretty sure youll do pretty good at night might want to bring some waders with you just in case the shore your fishing on is shallow. The fish ranged from 1lb to 2lb and some real smalls ones to that i threw back. Once in a while you might catch a big one. Some one that wiper_stalker knew relative or friend caught a big one. Let me know how u did when u get back, do you know when your going? Im planning to go back out there soon.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I fish elevenmile a lot. I am there all the time and I fish for pike more then anything else so maybe I can help you. I fish from a boat so I don't know about the wading part. Location is another story. Pike are nomatic. (Spelling) What I mean by that is they move all over the lake. Where the food is at they are. There is one spot they are always found (there is always food there) and that is the west end. It is a large spot to cover but there is many spots you can wade out and fish at near stoll mountain. If I was you that is where I would try. Any Perch or Rainbow pattern Rapula would be a good place to start lure wise also.

P.S. Oh yeah make sure it suspends and let it pause for long periods time.

Hope this helps Neil

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
I've caught all my decent pike at e-mile on twister tails tipped with piece of worm.From a boat on the west end.It helps when its windy out.Also helps when the thunderstorms are moving in.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Slayer I have never tried that before. Do you let them sink down real far or do you retrieve them near the surface. What color? I always like to learn a new way to catch pike at Elevenmile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much guys. I'll be going to eleven mile on friday, so we'll see. What about leaders vs. fireline/spider line etc. ? Used fireline on some big bass in florida and was pretty impressed. Don't want to set the hook too hard though.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The only leader I use is Floracarbon but you can use a steel leader if you want with a spinnerbait but don't use it with a suspending minnow bait because it will cause it to fall head first instead of suspending and nothing will hit it.

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
9 out of 10 times they grab it right on the bottom or within a foot or so.My best color is a clear/smoke -it matches the color of tiny young -of -the year pike!We were hammerin cuttys one year and their bellies were full of 'em.3" size.I just use my 6 lb line,usually hook em in the corner of the jaw.Although usually get some bite offs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove to Bonny on Saturday. I arrived about 7:30am did a recon of the North and Foster camp areas. They were having a fish tournment. I only got with in 200 yards of the damm and the deepest the finder detected was 16 feet. It was cold the wind was blowing and the water was muddy. I got on the lake about 8:30 and fought the wind until about 10:30. Got one bite trolling but missed it. The wind got stronger and the caps were just a little more than me and my 14 ft aluminum boat wanted to handle. So, I decided to through in the towel. Played heck loading the boat but I got it loaded. Decided to head back, the forcast had up to 30 mile per hour winds. I new this going out but what the hey!

I remain <<<NOLUCK>>>

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
noluck said:
I drove to Bonny on Saturday. I arrived about 7:30am did a recon of the North and Foster camp areas. They were having a fish tournment. I only got with in 200 yards of the damm and the deepest the finder detected was 16 feet. It was cold the wind was blowing and the water was muddy. I got on the lake about 8:30 and fought the wind until about 10:30. Got one bite trolling but missed it. The wind got stronger and the caps were just a little more than me and my 14 ft aluminum boat wanted to handle. So, I decided to through in the towel. Played heck loading the boat but I got it loaded. Decided to head back,  the forcast had up to 30 mile per hour winds. I new this going out but what the hey!

I remain <<<NOLUCK>>>
Sounds tough. You've got to change that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts