Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try out Boyd and Horseshoe before I went to Bonny that mourning. Fishing Horseshoe from 4pm to 6pm and got nothing. Went over to Boyd and headed towards the pump house. Started casting and still nothing. Went over by the inlet and some guy had caught 2 white bass. So I decided to try. With only 30 minutes of sunlight left I caught 3 white bass, 2 large mouth bass (small), and 1 crappie. As the sun set into the night I caught 1 more white bass, total of 4.

The same night we went to Bonny. Mourning action was excellent for about 2 hours of drag screaming thrills. Although wiper action slowed the cats were pretty active all day (good size cat fish). Caught lots of fish that mourning including one 30" nothernpike, 23" wiper and a couple 13"crappie. We stayed until sunset and caught more very nice crappie.

Came home with lots of wiper/white bass/crappie/cat fish. Very good day of fishing. Hope to see you all there soon.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I was there about a month ago and did pretty well on small Eye's, White Bass and Crappie. Have always liked that lake!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pike was caught on a minnow. It was long but had no weight (very skinny).Wow huh! We were fishing on the dam. Bonny only allows hand carry boats  in rite now due to the dam being under construction. All  fish were caught on the dam. Wipers and white bass were all caught on jigs. Beware before pulling your jig out of the water,  most of the white bass I caught were rite at my feet. Wipers were out farther of course  along with the crappies. Man these crappies were big. Bring plenty of minnows and leave a  4ft leader. We caught most of the crappies like that. As goes for the cats,  used  fresh  shad.

Boyd lake, I fished the inlet by the tiny dam. Lots of shad out. The crappie was caught on the dam and white bass were by the inlet.

For sure the bite is on there. Goodluck and be sure to post your succes storiees.

For those of  you wondering what I was using  here's the secret. I always catch fish on these jigs and I'm finally letting the  secret out for those of you who don't know already. www.canyon-plastics.com  Buy the 2 1/2 mini gizit with the minnow jig heads. Colors red/white, pearl white, purple/white, and red/chartuese are the best.

Buy these and I'll almost garuntee you'll catch more fish. This has been my secret among friends for years now, and now I'm giving this to you fellow members. I catch almost all my fish on these jigs and I'm sure you will too.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be heading to Lake Mc Conaughy this weekend. But I'll be back there soon. Who knows maybe this weekend. Just depends on the weather. These fish run in schools usaully in windy overcast days. I'm weather driven. Bonny has some of the largest wipers here in colorado. I've seen many 30" fish get pulled from there. Where ever I go I'll be sure to post on how it goes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to Mc Conuaghy for wipers. We also fish them bays. But I think I'm going to take my boat out on this try. Last year around this time we landed some 32" plus walleyes there. Our pics are at the bait shop on there wall of fame. Also landed alot of wipers too. Heard fishing is picking up so it's worth a try again for the 3rd time this year.

I'll be going to Boyd tonight after work. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had to go to Greeley, so I stopped at Boyd to fish for a couple of hours. First time there, so I was going for trout. But, as I drove by the pump house, I saw a few people catching fish. So of course I slammed the brakes.

The pump was running so lots of current and lots of shad. They were catching white bass on white jigs with white Mr. Twister grubs. But they were hitting only the small 1/8 ounce jig and small grub. Hell, I didn't plan on that, so I had no white jig heads or white grubs in that size! But I did manage to find a small red a white maribou, and I did have 4" white yamamoto double tail grubs. So I cut a piece of the grub tail, stuck it on the maribou jig to give it the tail action, and caught many white bass for two hours. Small, but fun! Beautiful evening! One guy had his two very young sons with him, and it was a blast watching them catch many fish. Great for kids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts