Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan was to go to John Martin but for some reason I told my brother that someone had posted a decent fishing report on the forum about bonny. This conversation happened about 100 yeards before the exit to bonny. So I made an executive decision to abandon JM. We arrived around 6 p.m. on 05/19. 2 cast 2 fish (waiper & a crappie) we ended the first day with two fish. Woke up the next mornign and worked the dam at about 5 a.m. After going through my entire tackle box (roughly 30 different lures & jigs) I found the the right pattern. Basically a small white green twister that has been rotting in my tacke box for 4 years. That was the winning ticket. Caught approx 3 walleye (18-20 inches) 5 wipers (2 - 3 lbs) and a mess of crappie. The pics are from my bag. The key is to work the dam and parallel cast about 2 feet from the rocks.  Lots of bait dunkers but i didnt see them do as good. The boaters were not doing much either.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Woo.. NICE NICE.. Im gonna have to head out that way as well.. Last past week my uncle and them said that the huge wipers where out and them crappies were hitting but never went out.. I guess the report is still the same.. Prob gotta go give it a try..

Steve
- GREAT JOB ..

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
That was the same pattern last year at this time for me. Just swimming grubs and Walleye Assassins parallel to the rocks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What was the average size crappie? If I remember, and from what you have the size still seems a little small. They were a good avaerage size when it was a resivoir and not a pond.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The size has gone down. Probably 8 - 10 inches, there were some big ones, but over all the size is much smaller

·
Registered
680 Posts
8-10 inches?!?! :mad:
years ago me and my pops caught a few 14" I think.
I have never seen such a slab ever again; they get real tall at that size; and fat

we used to kill the crappie at the marina with jigs(under a bobber; not much action other then crappie thou some wipers, no walleye. althou my dad caught a LM bass that he has mounted; man u can put your fist in its mouth! :eek:

we used to kill them,
we could out fish the minnow people; using a 1/64 pink-chartruese-white jig.
seems like we never did as well for crappie at dam; although we fished them 50%-50%, can't ignore those mean wipers. had best luck on a white twister; never killed them thou.

BTW nice 2 crappies in that picture; havnt seen any that big in a while;

have they runed bonnie? pond?!?! havn't been there in years;

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the fishing at bonny has considerably declined, Low water is much to blame. If things dont improve i would nt be surprised if they had a fish salvage.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ya,its really bad down there!Im suprised that fish can even survive in that mud hole >:D.

Had to get what I could before the salvage ::)

lyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts