Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at my work they have drastically reduced internet access :mad: The main reason i havn't been posting as much as i use to(I typically post and browse from work)

And also I got a new shift(9-5:30) where Call volume(I work in a call center) is extremely low in the afternoons... I typically like the slow time so i can browse the web :) But with the restrictions on internet usage.... anyway you see where this is going.. I have a lot of time at work where i am just sitting here doing nothing.. but am NOT allowed to browse the web :(

OK so it is currently one of those times.. i am not suppose to be on the internet.. But i am being a rebel ;) LMAO

With all my free time I have been reading!! Something i typically don't do a whole lot LMAO But am actually starting to enjoy!!

Currently I have been reading a book I got while being a member of the north American Fishing Club called "Bass Strategies" Book was published in 2006 but I assume the majority of the info is still good :) LOL

OK TO THE POINT:

I actually had a specific question in regards to some of the reading I have been doing(What is the best way for a shore fisherman to accurately check Water temp?? And when talking about water temp. in general are they referencing Surface temp? or bottom temp, ect?).. but after writing this thread have decided to change the focus.

What are some good books to read in regards to fishing for Bass in Colorado? Or any species for that matter.

I have almost finished the book I am currently reading and will be in need of some new material soon!!

Any suggestions? I would prefer to just check out books at the local library if possible but am willing to buy a couple "Must Have" books if need be.

As I am not suppose to access internet at work unless on break i will only be checking in every few hours LOL

Thanks in Advance, Ricky

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
RVinson said:
I actually had a specific question in regards to some of the reading I have been doing(What is the best way for a shore fisherman to accurately check Water temp?? And when talking about water temp. in general are they referencing Surface temp? or bottom temp, ect?).. but after writing this thread have decided to change the focus.
X2, thats a good question

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Ricky they are talking surface temp...
A standard freezer thermometer would be fine. Don't check it in super shallow water or murky water in a mud line for an accurate reading.
Put it a foot or so down.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boondock said:
Ricky they are talking surface temp...
A standard freezer thermometer would be fine. Don't check it in super shallow water or murky water in a mud line for an accurate reading.
Put it a foot or so down.
Hope that helps.
Thanks man! Helps a lot to know they are talking about surface temps. LOL

Havn't ever really payed much attention to water temp in the past.. never even carried a thermometer in my tackle box or anything.. It's such an easy thing to do on a boat.. and something i bet a lot of shore fisherman overlook. :/

Any suggestions on books? :)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
What kind of fish do you want to catch Ricky?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
There are a lot of great books on bass fishing. The problem with most of them is that they all re-state the same basic information ad nauseam. Good christ, we all know how to wacky rig!!

The one book that I have read, re read, and re re read, again and again, is Bill Murpyh's In pursuit of Giant Bass. It is like wisdom handed down from on high. I feel very secure in promoting this book because I know full well that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of anglers are never going to take Murphy's advice to heart. It is too against the grain, too anti- bull$h!t for most to accept. It is in short the real deal.

The fact is that anyone can catch small bass. Bass are a very intelligent and curious fish, and the same thing that killed the cat often kills the bass. But once the fish become adults, and especially once they get into the upper range of their species potential, they are a bit more canny than many other fish. Bill Murphy was THE pioneer California big bass angler. No Murphy, no Mike Long. No $h!t. Murphy was catching teener bass trolling leadcore, on live bait, on hand pours and homemade plugs, on jigs tied with dog and monkey fur (!) before most of the current generation of bass anglers were potty trained. He is to this day the most respected and revered figure in the history of the big bass game.

We are not dealing with the super fussy Florida strain, but northern strain bass are similar in many respects.

You can get the book on the Lunker City website. If you are not using Lunker City products, now is the time.They understand big bass better than most, and their products reflect that understanding.

SS

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'll bet that more than a few of the fishermen who frequent this site have made "job changes" by using company time to read and post on here. PK

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well...........it doesn't have anything to do with fishing, but if you have time to burn and like to read.........I would suggest "The Stand" by Stephen King, The complete and uncut edition. It will keep you busy for a while! ;D

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zman said:
What kind of fish do you want to catch Ricky?
Pretty much any species ZMan... Want to gain as much knowledge about species that we have in this state as possible!!

Actually at this point I am not to interested in catching trout...LOL Well accept Lake trout!! :)

I am currently on a Bass kick and have been enjoying the reading I have been doing... Also feel i have been learning A LOT!! Even though I fished for Bass for the majority of my life in AZ.. I realize i don't know much at all!! LMAO

I would also enjoy reading books about Bass, Catfish, Walleye/Saugeye, and even Carp.

I would also like to read any books about bait fish. The more I read the more I need to know about what the primary food is for the fish in the certain body of water. And how that food source act and reacts in different situations. Def. Seems a key part to figuring out a bite at any body or water!

I would LOVE to read a book specific to smaller body of waters and fishing them from shore.. Seems most books(esp. bass fishing books) focus on fishing from a boat. I plan on getting a boat next year :) so that knowledge is still reat knowledge for sure!! But I want more knowledge i can use come ice off this year! :)

Tubejig said:
I really enjoyed Mike Iaconnelis' "Fishing on the Edge", its an autobiography but also had a lot of tips on bass fishing in it.

He also has a new one coming out on finesse fishing for bass. Check it out. Cool website too.

http://www.mikeiaconelli.com/shop.php?category=3
Just looked and they have that one(Mike Iaconnelis' "Fishing on the Edge") in stock at my local Library... I just put it on hold!! :)

Thanks alot! I Def. like Iaconelli!!

If it is a good book i may buy the finesse one later on down the road.

FISHAH0LIC said:
Just get a different job! ;D
Wish i could find one that pays this well with this great of benefits!! Until then.. or until i get layed off.. i will continue working here :)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swimbait said:
There are a lot of great books on bass fishing. The problem with most of them is that they all re-state the same basic information ad nauseam. Good christ, we all know how to wacky rig!!

The one book that I have read, re read, and re re read, again and again, is Bill Murpyh's In pursuit of Giant Bass. It is like wisdom handed down from on high. I feel very secure in promoting this book because I know full well that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of anglers are never going to take Murphy's advice to heart. It is too against the grain, too anti- bull$h!t for most to accept. It is in short the real deal.

The fact is that anyone can catch small bass. Bass are a very intelligent and curious fish, and the same thing that killed the cat often kills the bass. But once the fish become adults, and especially once they get into the upper range of their species potential, they are a bit more canny than many other fish. Bill Murphy was THE pioneer California big bass angler. No Murphy, no Mike Long. No $h!t. Murphy was catching teener bass trolling leadcore, on live bait, on hand pours and homemade plugs, on jigs tied with dog and monkey fur (!) before most of the current generation of bass anglers were potty trained. He is to this day the most respected and revered figure in the history of the big bass game.

We are not dealing with the super fussy Florida strain, but northern strain bass are similar in many respects.

You can get the book on the Lunker City website. If you are not using Lunker City products, now is the time.They understand big bass better than most, and their products reflect that understanding.

SS
Thanks a lot! I will def. look into this book. Hopefully they have it at my local Library!! You seem pretty passionate about it! So it makes me VERY interested in reading it!

Also I promise to keep an open mind while reading it!! I realize there is a different opinion for every person you ask about fishing for a specific species.. And I am open to all methods! :)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
COLD CASE said:
I'll bet that more than a few of the fishermen who frequent this site have made "job changes" by using company time to read and post on here. PK
LMAO.. Exactly what I am trying to prevent ;) LMAO

Deuceu72 said:
Well...........it doesn't have anything to do with fishing, but if you have time to burn and like to read.........I would suggest "The Stand" by Stephen King, The complete and uncut edition. It will keep you busy for a while! ;D
Thanks but no thanks LOL. I'm not that into reading... That book is probably a couple thousand pages!! LMAO

It took me about a week to get through 150 pages in the current book I am reading!! I know I know.. I read S l o w !!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I don't know about passionate, I mean, I keep a copy in my car and a copy on my bedside table, but is that proof of passion... ??? ;)

I have read MANY bassin' books. I have never found a better one than Murphy's. Bill Siemantel's Big Bass Zone is great, as is Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic but they just don't compare...

I am still waiting for Mike Long's book.

Most "kids" that cut their teeth on ESPN/B.A.$.$.MASTER and buy crap just because KVD's /Skeet's/ Ike's/ whoever's name is stuck on it just will not get anything out of this book.

And that is fine with me.

SS

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
swimbait said:
I don't know about passionate, I mean, I keep a copy in my car and a copy on my bedside table, but is that proof of passion... ??? ;)

I have read MANY bassin' books. I have never found a better one than Murphy's. Bill Siemantel's Big Bass Zone is great, as is Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic but they just don't compare...

I am still waiting for Mike Long's book.

Most "kids" that cut their teeth on ESPN/B.A.$.$.MASTER and buy crap just because KVD's /Skeet's/ Ike's/ whoever's name is stuck on it just will not get anything out of this book.

And that is fine with me.

SS
So looks like they dont stock "Bill Murpyh's In pursuit of Giant Bass" at mu local Library :(

But i did find it for sale on ebay for only $7+ $4 shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/IN-PURSUIT-GIANT-BASS-BOOK-NEW-OUT-BOX-/390004700685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ace17760d

I am going to also look into the two other books you mentioned:
Bill Siemantel's Big Bass Zone and Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
In addition to "In Search of Giant Bass", you might also enjoy reading Bill Siemantel's "Big Bass Zone: Catch Monster Bass". Again, it's geared towards bass but the ideas and tactics described in there can be applied to other species.

For a fun read on the search for big bass, read "Sowbelly: the obsessive quest for the world record largemouth bass" - it's kind of eye-opening how far people have gone (and gives me evidence for pointing out that I'm not that far from normal.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
swimbait said:
swimbait said:
Bill Siemantel's Big Bass Zone is great, ...
Hey Chris, Beat cha too it! :D

SS
Yeah, I know...I was spending too much time ogling the Hudd 68s and didn't read the thread thoroughly enough. Either way, it's a good book.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ricky:

The fly fishing storess sell a fishing thermometer encased in metal or plastic that you can throw into the water and retrieve with a string.

Also, if you are surfing from "work" you might want to change to an anonyous "handle" like
"FishNFanatic" or something, so the employer never learns of your work time interests. Just to be safe you know.

You know, last year I bought a copy of Babe Winkelmans
"The Comprehensive Guide to Jig & Live Bait Fishing Secrets"

It is well illustrated, covers all kinds of baits & Rigs. Very informative. It is intended for all species of fish. I think a fish helped write it some.

Rotsa Ruck to ya.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts