Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Not a fishing book, but I guess you could call it hunting for terrorists. "Lone Survivor." Great book.

Not fishing related either but you should read anything by Peter Capstick. Amazing stuff. "Death in the Long Grass", Death on the Dark Continent", etc.... Amazing stuff. I think all outdoorsman should read these books. The stories are about men with REAL cojones!!!

Tim

Don't know if your into taking a fishing trip somewhere in the coming season but I do at least two trips a year. This year I'm going to Grand Lake of the Cherokees in OK in May.

Been spending alot of time on the internet getting an idea of what the lake is like, what resorts there are. Got a Hot Spots fishing map of the lake to study, been reading up on stuff to do in the area.

Anyway, if your into taking a trip this year, doing all the research can take up hours and hours and its fun to plan everything out and know as much as you can know before you go there.

Time to broaden your horizons, I am currently reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It has made me look at things more in depth and I know I can outsmart more fish if I think like his most popular title character O0

Discussion starter · #25 ·
FishDr said:
In addition to "In Search of Giant Bass", you might also enjoy reading Bill Siemantel's "Big Bass Zone: Catch Monster Bass". Again, it's geared towards bass but the ideas and tactics described in there can be applied to other species.

For a fun read on the search for big bass, read "Sowbelly: the obsessive quest for the world record largemouth bass" - it's kind of eye-opening how far people have gone (and gives me evidence for pointing out that I'm not that far from normal.
swimbait said:
swimbait said:
Bill Siemantel's Big Bass Zone is great, ...
Hey Chris, Beat cha too it! :D

SS
Thanks for the suggestion!! You and swimbait both suggesting it must mean i had better get a copy :) LOL

I just searched up Sowbelly and also sounds like a cool book, escription makes it sound like dude looses/almost looses his family over fishing!!

swimbait said:
I will GIVE you my coppy of Sowbelly if you want it. Fun read.
Looks like they have it in stock at my local Library :) I really appreciate the offer though!! Just put it on reserve :)
Nawanda said:
Ricky:

The fly fishing shos sell a fishing thermometer encased in metal or plastic that you can throw into the water and retrieve with a string.

Also, if you are surfing from "work" you might want to change to an anonyous "handle" like
"FishNFanatic" or something, so the employer never learns of your work time interests. Just to be safe you know.

You know, last year I bought a copy of Babe Winkelmans
"The Comprehensive Guide to Jig & Live Bait Fishing Secrets"

It is well illustrated, covers all kinds of baits & Rigs. Very informative. It is intended for all species of fish. I think a fish helped write it some.

Rotsa Ruck to ya.
You referring to this thermometer:
http://www.flyfishusa.com/accessories/thermometer.htm

Seems like a good one for sure.. Any idea where I might find one locally? (I honestly havnt even looked anywhere before)

And dont really have to worry about work checking into it that much.. basically it boils down to them walking back and forth(Micro Managing) and if they see me on the net I had better be on break!!(Like I am now :) )

I will look into that book you mentioned. i like books that are well illustrated :) LMAO

Thanks A lot! Ricky

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Captain America said:
Not a fishing book, but I guess you could call it hunting for terrorists. "Lone Survivor." Great book.
Tim-COS said:
Not fishing related either but you should read anything by Peter Capstick. Amazing stuff. "Death in the Long Grass", Death on the Dark Continent", etc.... Amazing stuff. I think all outdoorsman should read these books. The stories are about men with REAL cojones!!!

Tim
S
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Time to broaden your horizons, I am currently reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It has made me look at things more in depth and I know I can outsmart more fish if I think like his most popular title character O0
Sorry guys.. not really interested in casual reading.. Not much into reading at all unless it is something that interests me... I am just trying to kill time while learning as much as i can!

Who knows maybe after i read a few books i may be into reading more... But at this point just want to read to learn!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
kirbydog said:
Don't know if your into taking a fishing trip somewhere in the coming season but I do at least two trips a year. This year I'm going to Grand Lake of the Cherokees in OK in May.

Been spending alot of time on the internet getting an idea of what the lake is like, what resorts there are. Got a Hot Spots fishing map of the lake to study, been reading up on stuff to do in the area.

Anyway, if your into taking a trip this year, doing all the research can take up hours and hours and its fun to plan everything out and know as much as you can know before you go there.
Wish i was planning a trip!! LOL Even then my main problem is that i am not allowed to browse the net... Otherwise i would have plenty of sites to read for info :(

Discussion starter · #29 ·
§limer said:
Get a smart phone with internet access. Problem solved!
LMAO.. I actually have a droid2 ..But they already thought of that to.. No personal phone use while on the clock... No texts either :( WTF!!

RVinson said:
§limer said:
LMAO.. I actually have a droid2 ..But they already thought of that to.. No personal phone use while on the clock... No texts either :( WTF!!
Who would have thought there were so many rules to work ::). TYRANTS!!!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Tubejig said:
I really enjoyed Mike Iaconnelis' "Fishing on the Edge", its an autobiography but also had a lot of tips on bass fishing in it.

He also has a new one coming out on finesse fishing for bass. Check it out. Cool website too.

http://www.mikeiaconelli.com/shop.php?category=3
Picked this book up yesterday from the library :) Actually really enjoying it so far.. Not as much fishing tips as I had hoped for.. but i'm not disapointed at all.. It's an interesting story.. like a biography of Ike.

already to page 47 and just started last night!! And for me thats a bit of reading :) LMAO

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Also Have Sowbelly reserved for when i am done with this one!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Tubejig said:
I really enjoyed Mike Iaconnelis' "Fishing on the Edge", its an autobiography but also had a lot of tips on bass fishing in it.

He also has a new one coming out on finesse fishing for bass. Check it out. Cool website too.

http://www.mikeiaconelli.com/shop.php?category=3
Finished Mike Iaconnelis' "Fishing on the Edge" yesterday.. thought it was a good book :) Not as many fihsing tips in it as I was expecting but I still def. enjoyed reading it, and appreciate the recommendation! Most likely I will look into the Finesse Fishing book soon :)

But for now... I just picked up Sowbelly from the library... Gunna get started on reading it later this afternoon once work slows down :)

Any more recommendation?

Discussion starter · #34 ·
§uper Off Topic Guy said:
RVinson said:
§limer said:
Seriously? What if one of your boys has an issue and your wife needs to get ahold of you for an emergency...?
They do make exceptions for emergencies... But no exceptions for browsing the web LMAO..

Also since i work in a call center i have 2 phones on my desk at all times and access email(Company and personal) which gives my wife plenty of ways to contact me if there really was an emergency.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Just finished Sowbelly and loved it!! Read the whole book in 4 days all 140 pages!! And for me i feel that is a great accomplishment :) Because before 3 weeks ago I hadnt read a book in many years!!

Still need more suggestions though!!

My local library has a book in stock called "Bass! : proven strategies, skills & secrets for catching more and bigger largemouth bass"

Author, Dick Sternberg.

Anyone read this yet? or any other suggestions for me? ?

Thanks in advance, Ricky

"Fishing is the sport of optimists. Every cast into the unknown water world is merely an expression of that optimism, and thus no guarantee of some connection with another living being."

A ton of bass books are floating around out there. I do not recall that exact book, but I would not be surprised to learn that I had in fact read it at some point.

Most bassin' books are pure re-hash. How to Texas rig, etc. The In-Fisherman books are good , because they get into biology and seasonal trends with a bit more depth than other books tend to. Otherwise, you will be doing a LOT of reading.

Consider looking at academic papers by icthyological graduate students and state fishery programs. Texas and Oklahoma both have a lot of info available. Much of the Texas information is on F1 hybrids, but there is still a lot of good insight to be learned.

Dry reading, but it will up your game.

SS

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ordered "IN PURSUIT OF GIANT BASS" from Ebay :)

Until it gets here i picked up:

PRO TACTICS
Tackle Repair & Maintenance

Use the Secrets of the Pro to Get the Most from Your Tackle.

AND

Bass!

Proven Strategies, Skills, & Secrets for Catching More and Bigger Largemouth Bass

Discussion starter · #39 ·
swimbait said:
Did you get it from a gal named Carol? If so that is Bill's widow.

Whatever you paid for that book, it was the best money you have ever spent on your fishing.

SS
Actually wife bought it for me :) But yeah she got it form Carol(Bill's Widow) off of ebay.

$11 Shipped :)

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Discussion starter · #40 ·
RVinson said:
Ordered "IN PURSUIT OF GIANT BASS" from Ebay :)

Until it gets here i picked up:

PRO TACTICS

Use the Secrets of the Pro to Get the Most from Your Tackle.

AND

Bass!

Proven Strategies, Skills, & Secrets for Catching More and Bigger Largemouth Bass
S L O W day at work today.. already finished:

"PRO TACTICS

Use the Secrets of the Pro to Get the Most from Your Tackle."

Now starting:

Bass!

Hopefully that gets me by until "IN PURSUIT OF GIANT BASS" shows up!!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.