Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought y'all might enjoy this pic.  I caught it on the Okavango River in northern Botswana.  It is called a pungwe and fought fiercely.  One of the most strikingly beautiful freshwater fish I've been lucky enough to meet in person.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fiend,

During the high water season (May of last year), those rushes in the background are flooded, and the fish hang out in heavy, impenetrable cover. You have to cast a spoon right up to the thick vegetation and let it drop. The fish come out of the cover and hammer it if you are accurate. I probably went 1 out of 50 casts, with lots of time spent getting snags out.

The best time to go for these and big tigerfish is Dec.-January, when the waters recede and the fish are concentrated in the main channel.

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, I'm actually South Idahoan. But I love sub-saharan africa and can't wait to return. Where r u from?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats a sweet looking fish...id love to catch one of a flyrod. actually, id just like to see one..gotta love the exotics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was from south Africa never got the chance to fish in Botswana but fished all over south Africa. In my opinion the best sport fish is tiger- see my pic- the best is that most rivers that got tiger also have crocks and hippo. Noting like keeping a look out for the crocks and hippo while trying to get that big tiger. Where have you fished in south Africa

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
dtromp,
I bet you DID get a lot of snags.  But well worth it to catch something that beautiful that most of us will probably never see in person.  What an experience.  Tight lines going forward and keep us posted on your "exotic" catches.   ;D 

Thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bollie,

I've never fished S. Africa, just some ponds in Zimbabwe for tilapia and the one day on the Okavango.  Also caught a couple of tiny tigerfish, would love to catch a big one someday.

Dirck Tromp

·
Registered
79 Posts
I regret to say that I never did made the afford to get good pics I did preserve a couple of good size jaws but that is still over there with my mom. I think kurpers(tilapia) is much the same as bluegills over here they are a pest, buy for kids they are fun to catch and keep them busy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have found that the tigers are ferocious in the water but tend to die quickly when landed. they also loose their color fast. when swimming in waters that hold tigers people are advised not to wear shiny jewelry as they will go for it. there bite bleeds a lit and are very infectious. I knew a guy who lost a finger from infection after a tiger bite. My english spelling sucks but I am learning fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts