Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie. Could someone help me out with what is type of lure is a bottom bouncer ? I seem to read quite abit about people trolling with them.

D

·
0 Posts
A bottom bouncer is nothing more than a weight with a wire in it. It is a way to get your offering to the bottom and keep it there. What you present behind the bottom bouncer will vary depending on your preference. Some do a worm harness behind the bouncer, some do a line and hook with bait, some put a smaller stick or crank bait behind it. Most bottom bouncers are heavier than a typical sinker and can weigh between 1/4 oz and 3 or 4 ounces. Typically when bottom bouncing you are moving at .5 to 3 mph and the extra weight helps to keep the offering at the bottom.

T

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Obviously I use bottom bounces alot. Try to use enough weight to keep your rod at a 45 degree angle. I keep mine just off the bottom but can still let the rod back a little bit and touch the bottom. This keeps the bait in the strike zone for walleye. Sometimes when we are going over a small hump I let the bottom bouncer drad over the hump it is not to weedy or snaggy. This lets the bait come down the other side of the hump where fish may be hanging out. Remember if there is someone in the front and rear of the boat, have the person in front use a heavier bouncer. It will prevent people from becoming tangled with each other.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last question, how long of line do you use to tie on the bait or lure? I'm thinkin about 2-3 feet. Does that sound right? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
FishEyes said:
One last question, how long of line do you use to tie on the bait or lure? I'm thinkin about 2-3 feet. Does that sound right? Thanks
That is what I use most of the time. though at times I will make it longer depending on what I am running.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I usually start out with something 5 to 6 feet. It is alot easier to shorten your leader than to lengthen it. I make all my my own harnesses, that way you can customize. I usually make about 50 per year and replace the line each year on those I carry over each year. Remember to make your leaders with smaller line than your line on your reel. If you get snagged you will lose your leader and not the bottom bouncer. I make a variety of sets, but make sure to make at least two of each. If you lose one that all the fish are biting on and your don't have a duplicate - it sucks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help, very good info that would have taken me a long time to learn on my own!
BB, now that I got the technique info, care to share what your fav baits and lures are to pull to catch different types of fish. I think I read that you like leeches alot. I have caught some walleyes using your methods already, how about bass and trout? Any bottombouncing secrets there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts