Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Boyd Saturday for the first time this season. I've never used bottom bouncers before. Do you tie them on then tie a lure to the bouncer or do you usually use bait behind them? Still really new to boat fishing so sorry for what is probably a dumb question.

Any news on how boyd is doing? Crappie biting yet??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, tie the bouncer on and then run a length of line from the bouncer to the lure. I have a lot of luck with both artificial and live bait.

Haven't been fishing yet this year. Been to darn busy. I am hoping to get out this weekend though!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
remember you dont want to much line out or the bouncer will roll over and wont keep your bait/lure off the bottom

use enough weight to keep the line angle steep

L

·
0 Posts
I use live bait presentations particularly crawlers rigs and leeches with and without spinner rigs on bouncers. You can use minnows also. I like using other methods to get lures down to the bottom such as 3 ways or long lining with lead line or snap weights (snap wieghts are awesome).

On bouncers I prefer heavier ones to keep a steep angle on the line which I feel gives me better control and feel of the bottom. I also hold my rod instead of using rod holders (unless I'm being lazy) so I can feel the bottom. Remember, bottom bouncers are for running the bottom, not for getting lures deeper. There are other better things for that. Of course there are no rules, you can ultimately do what you want.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
One ounce of lead for every 10 feet and try and keep the line angle at 45 degrees...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nice reply Zman , must of heard that at a Fishing school or something , exactly correct ! tie a swivel snap to end of your line to connect the bottom bouncer and then use swivel snap on bottom bouncer to attach leader and spinner combo. Leader should be about 3 to 4 feet and in some cases, longer if your pulling a worm harness with no spinner.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I tend to fish very slow for 'eyes and all I use is various size splitshots on the line. This way I can change the amount of weight quickly to adjust to varying conditions. Simple is better,IMO.

·
Registered
769 Posts
zman said:
One ounce of lead for every 10 feet and try and keep the line angle at 45 degrees...
1 ounce of weight for every 10 feet of depth is a good rule of thumb. It is all
relative to the speed you are moving and the resistance of the rig you have
attached to the bouncer. Slow drifting with small blades require less (maybe
1/2 ounce per 10 feet) to maintain the 45 degree line angle.
As for line length from the bouncer. Sometimes it is best to keep it in the 18"
to 24" range to keep your bait from snagging up on the bottom. If the bottom
is relatively smooth, I like to use a 3-4 foot leader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts