Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to rat out walmart, but feel its necessary

the worms were barely alive even after warming up from their cooler, They looked normal when i bought em, but the dirt they send em in was about 75% excrement on bottom of container .... was almost 1/2" layer of dirt, then layer of 24 crawlers all in a knot, then a big layer of poo at bottom

when in water they would go limp, get mushy  & die way too fast. Ive had worms in green mountain ice for an hour that still wiggled more than these worms would - had these floating in chatfield for 10 minutes.

came from bowles & c470 store ... their cooler wasnt very full, so i had to take one from back of cooler. Maybe they dont rotate their stock .. or its too cold?  or Im too picky.
I didnt catch jack with em either ... had one strike in 3 hours, 1 fish just tugged on it once, did it taste like poo?. I saw plenty of fish swimming thru too ... especially at sunset when the muskrats came out, fish went running to lake .. a few hit my lines when swimming by, floats were moving with them, was funny. was even funnier when i scared rats away with a flashlight, one rat even shrieked, i got em back for scaring my fish away  >:D ... swimbaits worked best

·
Registered
258 Posts
Last summer, we went to the Wal Mart in Parker all the time and bought our nightcrawlers. However, there were a couple of times that we didn't really look into the container that well and.......turned out that a number of the crawlers were half dead when we got to the lake.
Now, I check the container pretty good before I buy it. There were a few times that I would put 2 or 3 containers back into the cooler because the crawlers looked ugly and the container stunk. I don't know what happens to some of the containers in their cooler, but I pick through them until I get a good one..........or I go somewhere else.
Cody

·
Registered
472 Posts
Something to remember...Most stores rotate the stock. New stuff is put in the back of the cooler and the older stock is pushed to the front.

I typically grab from the back if the cooler is full or looks recently stocked. Inspect every container's contents before buying. Depending on the guy behind the counter, you can place the stinky rotten containers on top of the cooler and let the clerk know they have gone south. Otherwise they just sit there for the next angler.

Many times I have gone into a store and found the cooler had been unplugged for several days. This pretty much wastes the entire shipment and you have to drive to the next bait shop.

M

·
0 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me at the one on Hampden between Broadway and Santa Fe. I make sure I check them.

Tried an alternative this year - I found a place that sells them in bulk in Missouri. I bought 500 of them. They only ship on Mondays and I got them all in a nice insulated box with a frozen water jug. They were THE BEST crawlers I had ever seen. As fat as my pinky finger and all at least 3 inches long (ALL OF THEM). Very active and healthy. Unfortunately, I over crowded them, they over heated in my worm box and I stunk up the house (to the point I was gagging carrying the box out to the trash). I reached in the box to grab some out and it was all mush. It was a real bummer. Only had them two weeks.

B

·
0 Posts
allways check your worms for a good wiggle before buying, I've seen them with mold on the top they are so old, or waxys that are all black(dead). Just bought some from Wally world last nite in Montrose and they are nice...hope the lake powell eyes like them......

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this as I didnt read all the replys but I always smell them before I buy them. If their south of cheese you'll know by the smell!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bennets in Berthould sells them bulk also. Great guy to work with and does a ton of kids fishing programs with the local fire/police and youth groups in the north area. I left Westminster the other day and it only took 25 minutes to get to his shop. He also has most of anything a person could want when it comes to smaller manufacutres gear you might be lookiing for.
JT

M

·
0 Posts
dogkatcher said:
Mr. Ed said:
Tried an alternative this year - I found a place that sells them in bulk in Missouri. I bought 500 of them.
THATS A LOT OF WORMS!! :eek:
It sounded like a deal at the time - worked out to $1.37 per dozen. I think I'll hold off on the bulk thing in the future though.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mattsabasser said:
Something to remember...Most stores rotate the stock. New stuff is put in the back of the cooler and the older stock is pushed to the front.
exactly what I meant ... I grabbed it intentionally from back ... if they didnt rotate stock, then there would be some old worms in back... maybe REALLY old. I learned rotating stock from working in food service, maybe their hunting/fish department has no idea. I like the guys that work there, but no more live bait on my bill

... any walmart employees out there??  maybe old Sam will give ya a raise if you bring this topic up & tell him to get some fatter/fresher worms & to teach their dept employees of proper handling ... they sell so many it doesnt even matter I bet & I really doubt they would return a partial container of somewhat live ones .... you'll spend more gas money than its worth anyway. so you see another way old Sam is making some loot. I try to stay away from there & give my business to smaller companies, but they are kind of far from where i live. 

I bought a 24 box of crawlers from sportmens warehouse, i barely used them & they lasted over 2 months or so in same container, i did give them some paper to chew on too

For Chatfield guys: the first gas station north of c470 has some fatties

One more thing: I never thought worms would get so many replies, I just wanted to warn you about what store they came from. Worms, where would the world be without them??? they only costed $2.88 i think ... I could go soak the backyard for an hour & probably have 100 freshies pop out of the ground right now.

A couple months ago we came across a huge sales pitch (pop-up) on internet for growing worms, starter kit & how to make BIG money .... to make money you need to grow ALOT of worms .. I wish I could remember the actual feasible grow number for big money, it was ALOT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts