Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has a boulder boat works boat and what your thoughts are about how it performs on Colorado rivers. I currently have a two person cataraft which I might keep, but need a bigger boat to accommodate a growing family. I would be looking to use it on the Colorado, Roaring Fork, N. Platte, and even sections of the Eagle or Ark under the right conditions. I need something big enough for 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog and am trying to decide between a boulder boat and a 14-16 ft raft.

I'm probably staying away from fiberglass due to the maintenance/durability issues on the water I expect to float. I know the polymer boats are better than fiberglass for low water, just wondering how close they come to matching the low water capabilities/durability of a raft. If anyone has experience with both a boulder boat and a raft and could outline the pros/cons of each, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a BBW low side for about 7 years. I float the Colorado, Roaring Fork, Arkansas, Rio Grande, Grey Reef, N Platte, Big Horn, and numerous lakes. This boat is tough as nails. I've hit rocks that would have holed other boats and I just kept on rowing. It's lighter than other boats and handles white water very well. I went with a drift boat over a raft because I only use it for fly fishing and as a fishing platform, it is excellent.

I don't have a raft but have fished from them and done white water floats. I think the decision comes down to what you want the boat for and what rivers you intend to float. If you want to row your family down rivers but don't intend to fish, I'd suggest a raft. Probably more fun for the kids.

Have Fun!
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. Have you been limited at all in your choice of fishing water with the low side? If you could do it all over again would you stick with the low side as opposed to going with a high side?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Bob. Have you been limited at all in your choice of fishing water with the low side? If you could do it all over again would you stick with the low side as opposed to going with a high side?

Thanks,

Alex
I've never felt limited by the low side.
Also it is easier to exit and climb aboard for a 73 year old fat a$$. The selection of the low side BBW was a conscious decision based on floating Grey Reef. It seems the wind is always upriver on the reef and you usually have to row like an SOB just to go downstream. The low side helps in that. I've shipped water doing the Colorado below Kremmling (search Colorado river "Eye of the Needle"YouTube) but not enough to worry about. I carry a pump for those types of rivers. View attachment 32075

1 - 4 of 4 Posts