Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite the rainy morning in Denver, I headed up to boulder canyon hoping the weather would break like the internet said it would. Pretty soon the sun came out and it was gorgeous all day. The lower part of the canyon was pretty high and a little off color from the rains but fishable, but i was planning on hitting the upper canyon anyway. As soon as i got above the falls and that feeder coming in, the levels went way down and the creek was perfect flows, like mid summer. Only 45 degrees when i got out of the car, but sunshine and no wind and almost didn't even need a fleece. I put on a dry and got 3 in the first nice riffle so i knew it was on. Had a few slow stretches but other times there were hits on 4 or 5 casts in a row. ended up fishing about 3 hours and caught all i wanted on the surface and no other fisherman or picnickers seen all day. i had thought the river might be flooded so i had done some research and planned to do some warm water fishing in boulder if needed. i decided to leave the good trout fishing and try it anyway and headed to the sawhill and walden ponds area for the first time. lots of nice water in there and i spotted 6 or 7 real nice largemouths but they didn't want my surface popper i was throwing on my fly rod. got some tiny panfish and eventually 5 tiny bass but am really hoping to find a public pond where i can at least get 12 inch bass more regularly. i really only enjoy fishing the poppers so i know mid day wasn't the ideal time today but once the cloud cover came in, they were hitting a bit. anyway, don't believe what you read on the flyshop postings...boulder creek is fishing just fine with dry flies right now if you're interested. Not quite as aggressive as late summer but getting there. above the falls is really nice looking levels right now if anyone wants some small stream canyon fishing. most of the water up there was in the sunshine by 10am so it was nice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts