Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about heading up to Crater lake above moffat tunnel in James Peak Wilderness to do some flyfishing, campout along the river west of Rollinsville and I believe that is South Boulder Creek. Anyone fished that stretch between Rollinsville and Moffat Tunnel. It looks like pretty good water, but I've never fished it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I couldn't agree more cause that water looks super sexy but there is very little public water West of RT 119. There maybe some folk knows of some areas but off hand it's pretty thin!

S

·
0 Posts
Actually there is quite a lot of public water there. From the tunnel to Tolland is a private and extrordinarily expensive stocker ranch, but Tolland to 119 is public with the exception of a couple tiny patches near the hwy.
Fish are small 6-12" mainly browns and they love hoppers, bigger Dries and the usual nymphs. Pretty easy fishing but fun nonetheless.
West Portal of Rollins Pass is closed due to pine bettle kill and fire danger, they dont want anyone up there with campfires at all ! Not sure about the east side. Im sure you know there is a county wide fire ban in effect though, so if you are camping use only a small stove.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Like SL says a lot of small fish that will hit big flies. The water just below the tunnel has some brookie and some cutts. I have fished that water for over sixty years .

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks trotline, forgot about that upper part, south side of the road above the ranch is a big pipe/spillway and upstream of that is public, Been a long time since ive hit that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are great, thanks for the info. I'm thinking the upper part would be just past the rail bridge before you get to the turnoff for rollins pass road, is that right. I would like to take a coleman stove cause I just have to have that bacon and coffee in the morning, or are stoves banned too? I've got plenty of big flies cause I can't see to tie those little uns.

S

·
0 Posts
actually is about 1/4-1/2 m before the rail bridge. if i remember right theres an old schoolhouse or church just before the culvert....... bridge there too ?? anyhow, youll se it no problem :)

Stove will be fine, they dont want open flame, burning trash, campfires....etc

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i just hiked to the crater lakes and iceberg lakes on Sat. 9/11 and the flows on the creek are almost too skinny to fish - IMO. it has been an a very dry season and while there is flowing water, it would be almost too tough and not worth messing with -over some of the other lakes in that region.
as far as public access, there is some but not as much as you think relative to fishable/good water.

100% no fires - stoves only - permit required to camp, but that might be over come Sept. 15th???
don't leave any food in your car for bears...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip. I may end up just backpacking up to Crater or Heart lake and stay 2 days. If the creek looks ok I can catch it on the way home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts