Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I could tell you that I fished it. Got up to the res around 2pm for an afternoon of fishing. It was to be my first time on that water shed. A buddy I was with said it was only going to be ten bucks for the day. The nice young blond asked if I was a boulder resident and not thinking I said no from Broomfield. She then said it was going to be 100 BUCKS FOR THE DAY. We said no thank you and went onto Boyd for the afternoon. I guess that they really only want Boulder residents with a boat to be able to get onto that lake.

Have any of you heard of anyother towns charging such an amount fish on there lakes?

JT

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does it upset anyone else here that the DOW continues to plant fish in these lakes (fish that we kind of pay for their rearing) and then we can't take a boat on there and fish it?

makes me mad to see all the trout and walleye that are put in lakes like Stanley, Boulder and Loveland and it only benefits the minority? Some lakes there's no way I can afford to fish them or even get on them. Seems like an abuse of the sportsman's dollars they collect from the fees to me.

am I off base here?? Anyone like to clue me in on the real reason the DOW does this?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The city has to pay for them, the DOW isnt just giving them away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
guys... WOW. I had no idea they paid for them. I guess I really am clueless. Thanks for shedding some light on the matter.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have to admit I was skeptical when I read they wanted $100 for the day. I looked it up on their website.

I apologize profusely for my skepticism!

Ouch, its like joining a private lake or fishing club..............No thank you!

Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a resident of Boulder, I must confess that it troubles me that it's that expensive to put a boat in there for one day -- I really hope (but doubt) that I'm reading the website correctly regarding these fees. Even as a resident, a yearly pass for a large ski boat is $600. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion... I understand the need to not oversaturate a resource, but wouldn't a reservation type system work a bit better (or a lottery or something?). On the other hand, perhaps it just costs a lot of money to keep the place running and that is why they charge so much.

That said, if you really want to fish this lake with a boat, go before or after it is officially open. Prior to Memorial Day, you can usually drive in/out with your boat and there's nobody at the gate. I talked to the manager of the Res and he said this is not illegal. Another option is that if you have a small, hand launchable boat, there is a trail access area on the northwest corner that would work for launching your craft. I go and practice open water swimming (for triathlons) from this area. I walk the dogs in this area at least 3x per week and have never seen any ranger/police presence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts