Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Boulder Res Walleyes

4K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Sashimi 
#1 ·
Post deleted.

#6 ·
Nice job on the eyes!

I think some people didn’t appreciate the extra verbiage in my previous reports, so here is a minimalist report, just for all you all, with just the facts, and no extra verbiage (except for this introduction and the conclusion).
AOFisher...its YOUR report make it how you like it...if they dont like the length or too many pictures they dont have to read it...

#9 ·
da_teacher said:
I know what you're thinking...because he's Asian, he kept them all!!! Buaahhhhaaaa! Happy St. Patty's Day---green beer and Jame-O! Woot woot!

p.s. I'm Asian btw.
Actually it was opposite of that. Based on some of the conversations that he had with Solesearcher34, I thought that he is a converted C&R fisherman now.

AOFisher, I don't meant to put you in a tight spot with an insensitive question like that, I was just curious if you are a converted C&R guy now. As for inviting debate on that subject, I think we had too much of that already and nobody should bring that topic up again. Again, good job on catching those walleyes and maybe we will run in each other some days or nights.

#10 ·
I enjoyed your post about our trip except for the no fish for soonerfisher part ha ha. I was a little lazy that night and probably didn't give my self the best chance to succeed by not moving enough. Maybe we can get into some fish this weekend.

#12 ·
I got the skunk too at Cherry Creek a few weeks back, right after ice off. Most of the time I won't say in my report whether I kept a fish or not; nor will I respond to such questions. I keep my share of fish (I make no excuse for that), but I prefer to not to invite catch and keep vs catch and release debates by disclosing such information. I will answer this time because I think it's a benign question: I went home with two fish.
[/quote]

Just out of curiousity, since you mentioned they were 15-17" - is there no size limit on Walleye at Boulder Reservoir?

#13 ·
FISHAH0LIC said:
soonerfisher said:
I enjoyed your post about our trip except for the no fish for soonerfisher part ha ha. I was a little lazy that night and probably didn't give my self the best chance to succeed by not moving enough. Maybe we can get into some fish this weekend.
ah-ha! so, no denying the worm & a bobber part?
It is true. Just wanted something to keep me interested in case they were not biting. It works in Oklahoma so I thought I'd give it a shot.

#15 ·
AOFisher said:
Weezy said:
I got the skunk too at Cherry Creek a few weeks back, right after ice off. Most of the time I won't say in my report whether I kept a fish or not; nor will I respond to such questions. I keep my share of fish (I make no excuse for that), but I prefer to not to invite catch and keep vs catch and release debates by disclosing such information. I will answer this time because I think it's a benign question: I went home with two fish.
Just out of curiousity, since you mentioned they were 15-17" - is there no size limit on Walleye at Boulder Reservoir?
GMCO45 said:
Last time I fished up there (a few years ago) it was 18" minimum size limit.
[/quote]

OMG, I kept some illegal fish… JK, but why do I have the feeling that I have to watch my back… I should have waited longer to see how many such posts I would get… You believe the size limit for walleyes is 18” in Colorado, don’t you? I don’t know where people get that idea from, but I have come across that before. It’s true that many metro area lakes have a 18” limit, but most lakes in Colorado have a limit of 15” (the prevalent rule is 15”). For Boulder Res, the current bag and minimum size is 5 fish over 15”, with only one fish over 21”. However, the rule has been changed for the April 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012 season to remove the size limit, but I think the 15” limit is a statewide limit, and still applies (there isn’t much to eat on a walleye that is smaller than 15” anyway). I think the change in the DOW’s daily bag limit for walleyes at that fishery is an indication that I am not the only one who thinks that there are too many stunted walleyes there. That is why I don’t mind disclosing where I caught these fish, but I might revisit that decision based on what I see coming out of there in the next couple of years. In addition, I think it's a good lake for a newbie to try walleye fishing. A more experienced walleye fisher would prefer other lakes that have a better potential for a trophy fish.

As an FYI here is the link to fishing regulation brochure: http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6DE0299B-B621-4248-B56A-00DFF8A66BB3/0/fishing.pdf

[/quote]

Relax, no need for such a rant - Division of Wildlife regularions doesn't list Boulder Reservoir, which was why I asked.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6DE0299B-B621-4248-B56A-00DFF8A66BB3/0/fishing.pdf

#16 ·
AOFisher said:
Weezy said:
GMCO45 said:
Last time I fished up there (a few years ago) it was 18" minimum size limit.
[/quote]

OMG, I kept some illegal fish… JK, but why do I have the feeling that I have to watch my back… I should have waited longer to see how many such posts I would get… You believe the size limit for walleyes is 18” in Colorado, don’t you? I don’t know where people get that idea from, but I have come across that before. It’s true that many metro area lakes have a 18” limit, but most lakes in Colorado have a limit of 15” (the prevalent rule is 15”). For Boulder Res, the current bag and minimum size is 5 fish over 15”, with only one fish over 21”. However, the rule has been changed for the April 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012 season to remove the size limit, but I think the 15” limit is a statewide limit, and still applies (there isn’t much to eat on a walleye that is smaller than 15” anyway). I think the change in the DOW’s daily bag limit for walleyes at that fishery is an indication that I am not the only one who thinks that there are too many stunted walleyes there. That is why I don’t mind disclosing where I caught these fish, but I might revisit that decision based on what I see coming out of there in the next couple of years. In addition, I think it's a good lake for a newbie to try walleye fishing. A more experienced walleye fisher would prefer other lakes that have a better potential for a trophy fish.

As an FYI here is the link to fishing regulation brochure: http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6DE0299B-B621-4248-B56A-00DFF8A66BB3/0/fishing.pdf

[/quote]

wow, sounds like someone went to community college

#17 ·
AOFisher said:
Relax, no need for such a rant - Division of Wildlife regularions doesn't list Boulder Reservoir, which was why I asked.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6DE0299B-B621-4248-B56A-00DFF8A66BB3/0/fishing.pdf
Fair enough. The reason why Boulder Res is not listed individually in the 2011/12 brochure is because it has no lake specific regulations put in place by the DOW. For such lakes, the state regs apply. Here is a link to the 2010/2011 regs, which do state the 5 fish above 15”, with only one fish above 21”: http://www.flipseekllc.com/coloradodow2010fishing.html

I admit my response was a bit cavalier, but if there had not a second post suggesting the size limit was 18”, it would have been more neutral. I have seen the mob mentality escalate very fast in past threads. The first objection to a (potentially) controversial post is usually fairly innocent (a request for clarification, for instance). The following post would then be a little more assertive (the question becomes a hesitant assertion). Then the next one is a stronger assertion. And so on until you get a full mob ready to lynch someone online… If I were a troll, I would have just stood back to see if it would happen here… The “rant” isn’t directed at you personally, or the other poster, but at a pattern I have seen before.
[/quote]

I read the Boulder regulations from last year, you posted - and I understand that since Boulder is not listed this year that State Regs apply. However, unless I am missing something, I do not see any length requirements for Walleye in the State Regs. Just that 5 is the bag limit.

Not that I would, but technically you could keep a Walleye of any size, unless otherwise listed on that specific lake's regulations?

#18 ·
Weezy said:
Not that I would, but technically you could keep a Walleye of any size, unless otherwise listed on that specific lake's regulations?
Yes...I think that's the case...For example Trinidad...

"Regulations for walleye/saugeye have changed, effective January 1, 2011. Daily bag and possession limit for walleye/saugeye is now 5 fish in aggregate with no more than 1 fish over 18 inches in length."

I'm fairly certain that this change was implemented because Trinidad has many stunted walleye in that 14 inch range that are actually old fish that just aren't growing anymore...

#20 ·
AOFisher said:
I think that is right too, but I didn't want to suggest it. As I recall, there used to be a statewide minimum size limit in the regs for walleyes at 15". I haven't seen that section in recent years. As I understand, the reason why they have a 15" or 18" limit in place (depending on the lake)is because a male walleye is lucky to go through one reproduction cycle if it is caught at 15", and a female walleye will also have at best only one reproduction cycle if it is caught at 18". No one wants to die a virgin, so please do the fish a favor...
So in short - open season on any Walleye in Boulder Reservoir?

#23 ·
Yeah I was wondering that too about Boulder...I dont think there is any size limits on walleyes in Boulder Reservoir in the new regs...

If you look at the main statewide regs page it just lists 5 walleyes no size...

So then you go look up Boulder Reservoir in the individual waters listings...

Boulder isnt listed at least I didnt see it...anything on the signs at the lake?...I havent been there in a long time!

Here is a link to the new regs...

http://www.flipseekpubs.com/publication/?i=62341

#26 ·
Donj't get your knickers in a twist, AOFisher. I don't see anything wrong with taking a few walleyes that size from Boulder Res. My comments were not intended as a shot at you. Sorry if you took it that way.

I was talking about the folks who will read such reports, and go get their 5 (or more) of any size over and over and over. We've all seen it happen. The Chatfield spillway two years ago comes to mind as one of the most horrendous examples.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.