Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am on my 3rd or 4th trolling motor. First one that came with the boat was under powered and cable operated. Second one had enough power bot I didn't care for the auto pilot. It was too difficult for me to keep it going in a straight line. Now I have a minkota edge with 45# thrust and back to the cable steering. My question is how low in the water should the prop be for optimal performance?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Get it low enough in the water to where it can grab without splashing much and pull you forward. Simple enough.

45lbs thrust? How big is your boat? After using 24 volts I'd never go back to 12 volts and the guys who use 36 volts swear by them.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the autopilot. Going in a straight line is what I use mine for. Kicker motor in back for a slow steady forward push and then you use the autopilot bow mounted motor to steer. 8)

·
P I K E
10,238 Posts
Mfr's recommend 18inches below surface!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The boat is a 16 ft Northwood with a 40 hp motor, I do have a 4.5 kicker I could put on but this boat is very heavy in the rear. I was thinking about moving the batteries to the front to bring the bow down a bit. Maybe sand bags?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That 45 is going to have trouble lasting all day with a 16 ft heavy boat. One thing you can do is buy a second 12 volt battery and hook it up in line with the first-positive to positive and negative to negative. That way you can run it on 4 or 5 all day.

But like said, a 24 volt TM would really work better. And moving the batteries up front would help you get on plane quicker.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The boat is a 16 ft Northwood with a 40 hp motor, I do have a 4.5 kicker I could put on but this boat is very heavy in the rear. I was thinking about moving the batteries to the front to bring the bow down a bit. Maybe sand bags?
My starter boat was similar. I used to put my spare trailer tire and rim up front when I went out by myself to balance the weight forward. :) 12 volt i-pilot motor up front along with a 24 volt kicker in back worked out pretty well for me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now I think I will put a sand bag in the front and over the winter I will move the batteries. Probably add one more battery ( 3 total) and put the kicker I have on the stern. Actually what I need the most I guess is a Gilligan to help me with these projects. Ha Ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts