Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had yet to land a Bowfin (“Dogfish”) from my kayak, I’ve hooked into a couple but they have always gotten off whether that be by snapping the line or breaking/popping the hook. They really tend to come out to feed and will chase just about anything around dusk on this lake, I was throwing a black buzzbait around some pads and watched a wake come out behind it. I slowed down my retrieve and then it didn’t take long for my rod to load up…game on!

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Very cool fish, never seen one caught before! THX Mitch!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet footage mitch! Hey I see wakes behind my topwater baits all the time and they aint no bowfin! 8)
That was definitely a lake specific comment :) This was on my cabin lake in Western WI and there are very few Bass/Pike over 2lbs but it has a lot of good sized Bowfin. Around dusk time if you're throwing in the shallows, especially you'll see wakes and it's always the Bowfin coming out to hunt.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
That was definitely a lake specific comment :) This was on my cabin lake in Western WI and there are very few Bass/Pike over 2lbs but it has a lot of good sized Bowfin. Around dusk time if you're throwing in the shallows, especially you'll see wakes and it's always the Bowfin coming out to hunt.
Sounds awesome!! You ever throw any swimmers at those guys?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds awesome!! You ever throw any swimmers at those guys?
Swimbaits? If so, no because they put a hurtin' on a lures/hooks/paint. They have some of the strongest jaws, tons of small but sharp teeth and they roll like a gator.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Swimbaits? If so, no because they put a hurtin' on a lures/hooks/paint. They have some of the strongest jaws, tons of small but sharp teeth and they roll like a gator.
That just makes the swimbaits look more badass! Get some cheap dyanamos and throw those! I bet they'd hammer them

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bad-ass fish for sure. Caught them in Florida and in Minnesota. They definitely have a mouth full off wicked teeth which is one of the reasons they`re hard to hook sometimes. Definitely NOT something you want to `lip` when you pick it out of the water !!! Great fighters and lots of fun to catch. I think they are closely related to the gar family. I`ve caught them up to about 15 lbs but I`m sure they get bigger than that. Near sunset & casting around lilly pads they can be coaxed out with spinnerbaits or slow action top water bait, and YES, It`s really kooool to see the wake they produce when they are focused in on a moving lure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts