Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had yet to land a Bowfin (“Dogfish”) from my kayak, I’ve hooked into a couple but they have always gotten off whether that be by snapping the line or breaking/popping the hook. They really tend to come out to feed and will chase just about anything around dusk on this lake, I was throwing a black buzzbait around some pads and watched a wake come out behind it. I slowed down my retrieve and then it didn’t take long for my rod to load up…game on!

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet footage mitch! Hey I see wakes behind my topwater baits all the time and they aint no bowfin! 8)
That was definitely a lake specific comment :) This was on my cabin lake in Western WI and there are very few Bass/Pike over 2lbs but it has a lot of good sized Bowfin. Around dusk time if you're throwing in the shallows, especially you'll see wakes and it's always the Bowfin coming out to hunt.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds awesome!! You ever throw any swimmers at those guys?
Swimbaits? If so, no because they put a hurtin' on a lures/hooks/paint. They have some of the strongest jaws, tons of small but sharp teeth and they roll like a gator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.