Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished boyd yesterday for a couple of hours. It was windy and cold so of course I left my hat, gloves, and wind proof jacket at home. THansen's report of catching those bass made me think maybe I could finnaly catch one. Fished from the boat ramp by the marina. Big old wooly on sinking tip=nada. Moved to the boat ramp by Heron cove. Same wooly=nada. There was about 10 feet of open ice by the inlet. Cast the wooly on top of the ice and slipped it over the edge, let it sink to the botton, pulled once WHAM! Now I am not a bass angler as I have never caught one and don't know what a small or large bass hits like but whatever it was hit me like a ton of bricks. I also am proud to say I have not been broken off in as long as I can remember. But what ever slapped my bugger was on for about 5 second, almost ripped my rod out of my hands, and then sent the fly line back in my face(with out my bugger). No more action all day. It was fun to have something like that hit. I will be back.

Side note: To make sure it was the fish and not my sloppy fly fishing I was also using a rapala and a crawfish jig on some other rods. I don't know how to fish either of these but it made me feel a little better.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
you gotta fish mostly slow plastics this year...senkos...sink to the bottom. twitch gently once every 30 seconds or so. I don't know of anything else better than that. Bass generally don't hit that hard- they pick up your bait and slowly swim away. Your line just goes out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
TFB is right on slow plastics.... although the small jigs (twisters) were getting hit pretty hard.  Hatchmaster.... it may have been a bass, but there are some PIG trout that cruise in that inlet pipe area, also a few walleye have come outta there.... who knows.... I caught an 8lb Cat outta there through the ice last winter.... you just never know, but I bet it was a rush!!!

TONY

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it was a rush. I hope to get better with this whole fishing plastic thing this year. Maybe catch my first bass?

·
Registered
157 Posts
anybody know the conditons at Boyd as of
yesterday or today ? nice day out and mama says
i cant go fishin unless i take her today so i need some "not so rustic" locations if you know what I mean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts