Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally made it over to Boyd and had a fun morning. I used my bellyboat and fished from 6-10a.m. I fished off the the point just North of the marina, ( the group picnic area), where the volleyball court is. Caught 21 fish total. 9 white bass, 7 walleyes, and 5 trout. The white bass were all 10-12 inches, walleyes 12-14 inches, and the trout 16-18inches. The trout were very solid, If only I liked to eat trout, these boys were meaty ;). Jigged the entire morning, green/yellow & blue/white jigs, 1/8th oz. tipped with half a crawler, or white 3in. twister tail. Water level is the highest I've ever seen it. Lots of new plants and trees the first 20 yds or so from shore. Caught most of the bass in the first couple of hours, then the walleyes the last couple.

That's the thing I really like about fishing at Boyd, you never know what your going to catch. A couple of years ago I caught 8 different species one morning, doing the same thing. I think I'll take the kids out Friday morning, and check out the rest of the lake.
John

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Good report man. Althought Ive only been there once and caught a skunk I like the fact that there are so many diffrent fish in there.

-Jay

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think so, but the water is so deep, It's hard to tell. I didn't notice any current. The water is so high, there is literally only like 2 or 3 ft of rock left to stand on at the dam.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Wholey crrrrrrrap, that's a lot of water!! Hmmm.. Maybe I'll go back and check it out. So the whitebass that are bigger than 10" are hitting now?

·
Registered
72 Posts
About this time of year last year we were having 50 fish days at Boyd, mostly white bass. Some were 15 - 16 inches. Maybe they were wipers. I didn't check that closely because I didn't know there were wipers in there. It might be time to head to Boyd!!!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, my smallest one was 10in. I'm sure I could of really nailed them, but I was searching around for some eyes! Biggest whitie we caught last year was 16in. ( by my 8yr. old son) Man did it fight. To him it was like a 40in. Pike!!! Boy I love fishing with my kids, they get soooooooo excited. But then again, so do I ;).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Got on Boyd around 3:30pm also on the 8th. Wind was blowing strong from the South East and only slowed down for a little bit. We pulled the boat around 9pm. Fished mostly along the east bank along the older homes. By the older inlet/oultet pump building got into a punch of perch also got into them on the northeast side near the new homes that are still under construction. Mostly 6-8" perch. In 20-22FOW.

Was working lindy rigs and moved into bottom bouncer as the wind picked up. Got about 10-12 walleye all around 12 -14" nothing of any size and all the white bass seemed to be on the small side also. Getting those white bass makes you thing you have a good size walleye coming up.

For awhile the wind was blowing so hard had to run both the Kicker and the bow mount elec to keep the boat in line. First time I tried it and I will do it again. If you get into heavy winds drop your kicker run it as fast as you need to hold you in the spot you are trying to stay over and then run the electric to steer and move the boat around. Worked great for us that afternoon.

JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts