Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife would like to get in some catfishing this Friday if it warms up enough. Can anyone give a tip on the catfishing at Boyd or nearby lake. We live in Windsor. I've fished the inlet but never seem to find the cats. Is the north or south end a better place?
Thanks
Arrow

·
Registered
97 Posts
Boyd has cats, try down at the south end of the south inlet... also, try other lakes. Horseshoe, Frank SWA, Dixon Res., all of these have cats, and that is just a few of the SEVERAL that has good cats.

TONY

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony
Horseshoe is right across from boyd, correct? It looks pretty low this year. Forgot about Dixson... Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I thought Horseshoe was private? There's a sign right across from the entranc station at Boyd that says it's private.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Horseshoe is private but I believe you can fish it from the county road legally. In the DOW pamphlet for fort collins/ loveland It says something to this effect. I can't remember exactly what the wording is because I'm at work and my stuff is at home.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Horseshoe is privately owned all around the lake; the only area you can fish is from the road on the bend just south of the entrance to Boyd, and it is so low the bottom is showing. Forget Horseshoe for now.

In Boyd, I know of good cats caught in 4 places.

1. A guy sitting on the rocks at the end of the marina channel caught an 18 pounder last summer.

2. A lady fishing at the inlet from Heinricy Lake (but when the gate was open and water was running) also caught an 18 pounder. That's just south of the camp ground.

3. I watched a guy fishing in the pump house inlet channel with night crawlers who caught three 7-pounders in a row, last August. So far this spring, they don't seem to be in there yet, but I could be wrong.

4. If you fish Boyd at night, you can cast out from the shore at the south edge of the swimming beach and catch both walleyes and cats. They like night crawlers, but they absolutely love big crawdad tails, if you have a place where you can trap crawdads. This last spot was told to me but I haven't fished it myself.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
LOL...

I should mention a warning. There are 20+ lb. carp in there that will slurp up a crawdad like you would a piece of candy, so do not turn your back on your rod or you are liable to lose it into the lake. Seen it happen more than once.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah all...
forget Horshoe 'cuase W.E. said to, and I will forget that I caught 2 8-10lbers on Sat night outta that lake.
sorry I posted a bad report W.E.

TONY

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
THansen77 said:
Yeah all...
forget Horshoe 'cuase W.E. said to, and I will forget that I caught 2 8-10lbers on Sat night outta that lake.
sorry I posted a bad report W.E.

TONY
Ha ha, yeah, they must have been imaginary. ;) I only see the part of Horseshoe that you can see on your way out to Boyd, and I see birds wading in it not even up to their knees in water. Where were you fishing?

Nice pair of cats, BTW, I'll take that size any day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have to agree with that rod thing. I caught two nice fishing poles out of Boyd last year. The DOW won't give me a citation for either one though. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts