Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get to the Lighthouse @ Boyd Lake. I want to fish there or near there off the shore.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Lighthouse??? At Boyd Lake? Why would they need a lighthouse? Do you mean the pump house, by any chance? If so, I can help with that. But not with a lighthouse -- never heard of it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe he meant pump house- It's on the other side of the Greeley Water Supply but that area is fenced off. There's got to be another way to get to that area.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
tbmanivong said:
Maybe he meant pump house- It's on the other side of the Greeley Water Supply but that area is fenced off. There's got to be another way to get to that area.
Okay. I sort of hate to tell this, because there is no better fishing hole in Boyd Lake, but here is what you have to do.

Enter the Boyd Lake area through the main entrance gate, and at the first opportunity (stop sign) turn right and follow the road on past the camp ground until it ends at a little parking lot beside a little bridge at what the park rangers call the "Heinricy Inlet." Heinricy lake is the little shallow lake just west of Boyd.

Park your car, pick up your gear, and get ready for a long walk.

Follow the paved jogging/biking trail across the bridge and proceed south until you meet up with the chain link fence around the Greeley water reservoir. About 100 ft. before you hit the fence, watch on your left for a foot trail that goes out through the tall grass into the trees. Follow the trail as it goes along the chain link fence. It comes out at the pump house, and you have to walk along the trail which has big rocks on the left and the fence on the right.

When you get to the end of the fence, make your way down the rocks until you get to the water.

Now here is the tricky part. You have to be the first fisherman to get there, because there is only room for one or two at the best spot. They have dug a channel, perhaps 30-40 ft. deep, at the intake for the pump, and that is where you have to fish. Cast out over the low concrete wall that forms the side of the intake channel, and let your lure or bait sink deep before retrieving.

I took my 8 year old grandson out there a few days ago, and he caught both our limits of large rainbows. He got a strike on every cast. Also, there were white bass or maybe wipers boiling on the top chasing minnows. I have fished there trying to catch walleye, and got none because the trout would grab my night crawlers before they hit bottom. These trout bite like bullheads, they pick up worms right off the bottom. But they hit lures, too, anything that looks and swims like a minnow.

If you are unlucky, and the spot by the concrete side wall is already occupied, you can fish off to the side in the little bay there, but you will mostly catch perch and undersize walleyes. That's only 5-8 ft. deep and the good fish are mostly in the deep channel.

Early morning is a good time to go, but early afternoon before everybody gets off work is a good time too.

Regards, W. E.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help- I will give that a shot-

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Well, I would have offered to meet with you and take you there & offer a few tips, but I will be gone the rest of the week fishing the Missouri River trying to beat my personal record (37 lb.) catfish, but let us know how you did.

My brother-in-law just acquired about a mile of Missouri River frontage adjacent to his cattle farm in Iowa, and this is an opportunity I just can not pass up. :D

And he doesn't even fish!!!

W. E.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, maybe next time. Have a great fishing trip, and no doubt about it that you will catch fish, even if it's not over 37lbs. Try to get some pictures of those cats out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts