Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, gonna try Boyd Lake tomorrow. I was reading posts about it and on the State Park site with reports and am confused to where things are. I've never been before so I'd like an idea of where to go tomorrow and not waste all my daylight just trying to find out where I am lol.

I think I understand where the marina inlet is, just the symbol for Marina, but roughly where is the pumphouse and where is Heron Cove and the Heinricy area? Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
First, bring 6 bucks with you unless you have a state parks season permit sticker on your windshield.

After you pass the entrance gate you will encounter a 4-way stop sign. Straight through takes you to the swimming beach. If you take the left turn and follow it a short distance you will come to the marina channel. I haven't seen it for about a month or more, but I bet it's pretty low right now. When the water's high, the channel yields trout, catfish, and a few white bass and walleyes.

Heron Cove I can't help you with, I have a map of Boyd but there's no Heron Cove marked on it.

If you turn right instead of left at the 4-way stop, you go over a small hill and past the campground entrance, and finally dead-end in a small parking circle at the Heinricy inlet. Heinricy lake is the small lake visible just to the west of the inlet. It has bass and crappies in it, but no record breakers.

If you park there and walk south over the bridge and down the paved jogging path for about a quarter mile you will come to a chain link fence, and a foot path out through the weeds to the left, that will lead you out onto a rocky point that surrounds the pump house. There are usually fish to be caught in the channel in front of the pump house inlet. Sometimes trout, sometimes crappies, almost always bass and catfish. Outside the channel, it's shallower and mostly populated by perch, small bass, and undersize walleyes.

Good luck. IMO, Boyd is a hard lake to understand. Every time I catch a lot of fish, and think I finally have the place nailed down, I go out there the next time and it makes a liar out of me. I think the only real solid conclusion I have made about Boyd is that I need a boat. :)

W. E.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info W.E. I think the comment about figuring out the lake one trip and then getting having it flipped around on you the next is about the same for me anywhere I go, the exception being Dixon, lol. I almost can't go to Dixon and not get skunked. Friend and I will be trying Boyd tomorrow to see how we do. Bought some Super Dupers (like Kastmasters/spoons) in gold with red head and one in rainbow pattern, rainbow colored spinner, some senkos, and a silver kastmaster to see what I can get. I'll try to post a report tomorrow after getting back. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you want to have fun with the bass, include in your arsenal some small spinnerbaits, 1/4 or 3/8 oz. with white skirts. They love those things.

Hope you end up with a reason to post a fishing report! (A positive one, I mean!)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the keeper limits in there? Size and number?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Derajaman said:
What are the keeper limits in there? Size and number?
I think it's posted as LM bass 15", walleye 15", SM bass 12" but you better check the signs. They don't care what size trout or catfish you keep.

Edited:
Oops! Forgot the number. No numbers specified for Boyd, so the limits are the same as the regular state limits.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, sorry to keep bugging ya, but are there mainly rainbow in there or are there any other species?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Derajaman said:
LOL, sorry to keep bugging ya, but are there mainly rainbow in there or are there any other species?
Derajaman!!! Go to bed!!! LOL!

The only trout I have ever caught, or seen caught, out of Boyd are rainbows.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, I'm a college student so I never go to bed :/ Jk, just doing homework at the same time as reading the forums :)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Sunman said:
WE,
I don't know how Derajaman did at Boyd, but your instructions were extremely helpful to me. I spent a couple of hours fishing the bay north of the pumphouse yesterday and did quite well. Size ranged from 13"-15" for trout. I would have liked to have caught more warm water species, but I suspect it may be getting a little late for that. Without your help, I'd have had no idea where to go. Thanks a lot!
Aw, shucks... 'twarn't nothin'... :)

If the trout were in that shallow bay (which they weren't, in the hot months), it suggests that they have come out of the deep holes with the water cooling down, and are spreading out over the lake again. Sounds like good news...

Mind mentioning what you caught them on?

W. E.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
derajaman- i;ve fished heron cove many times with good success mainly for huge perch and a few largemouth when u enter the park go left past the marina cove and keep going and its on the right you will see the sign theres a boat ramp. also heinricky is the lake behind boyd that flows in boyd last time i was there it was low but flowing good to get there when u enter park go right and follow road till it dead ends and ur there i caught alot of perch and walleye and white bass in the heinricky inlet if u want to know anything else let me know

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info everyone. We tried boyd again on Sunday and didn't get a thing. After talking with a ranger that was there we figured out where Heron cove was, but still didn't get any bites from perch or trout. Earlier in the afternoon we were at the marina inlet and weren't getting any bites for the most part, just a few small bass. Some guys next to us were just hammering them with minnows under bobbers not even 10 to 15 feet off the dam. Most of our luck has always been near the pump house, I've gotten 10 to 14" largemouth there everytime we've gone. I'll definitely have to consider the heinricy inlet sometime we go down. Where about do you fish when you are at the heinricy inlet? Right where the water comes out of the concrete and under the bridge or closer to the main lake? Also with the fish you get there what were they're sizes and would walleye still be biting now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts