Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to boyd at around 6am fished at the same spot i did last year where i did really good on white bass. Lake full so i made it difficult to fish for shore. Nothing no nibble no bite. Went to the lake right next to boyd. Nothing no nibble no bite. Is that lake named horseshoe? Is there more than one horseshoe? Went to union after that no bite just some nibbles. Than when i got back to work one of my friends came into the store showed me 12 crappies he caught at the lake next to boyd. Lol just my luck. The smallest of the crappies where 12 inches.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Someone posted going to Horseshoe about a month ago and said they caught a bunch of crappie at a certain spot. You should check to see where it was. I've been wanting to head out there too. I heard most of the lake is private though.
HookNLine, do you know what your friend was using for bait?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he parked on the side of the street where theres a really lil pond on the opposite side of the lake. Hope that helps. he used a small red twister tail no bobber. It was around 130 when the bite was good. He went again today same time but he said the wind was too strong. No bite.

·
Registered
578 Posts
HookNLine said:
                   Is there more than one horseshoe?
Yes, Colorado has two Horseshoe's. One is Horseshoe Res. and the other is Horseshoe Lake. This one next to Boyd is Horseshoe Lake. Horseshoe Res. is in Southeast Colorado.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I thought that the Horseshoe Lake next to Boyd was private?!?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
work2fish said:
I thought that the Horseshoe Lake next to Boyd was private?!?
Weird huh? I thought so too, but get this. I've driven past it earlier this year and seen a couple of fishermen parked on the side of the road and fishing on the rocks that run along the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can only fish a couple places there. Since there houses around the lake u cant fish in anyones backyard. I went there about 2 weeks ago caught 6 white bass 5 of them where really small. I also caught 1 walleye that time 17' up there u can keep 15'. If you guys drive like your going to boyd instead of making a right to get inside of boyd keep straight. The first left that is a real street and not somesone house turn there. Drive just a lil bit down the road and u will see the lake, on the opposite side of the lake u will see a small pond park on the side of the road right by it. Walk across the street to fish. Its like a really small dam your fishing on. Been there twice and everytime there was people fishing there. The crappies where really nice size its worth giving it a try. When i have time im going back up there.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Horseshoe lake is private for boating, but from shore public access is available (where you're not on private property, obviously).

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
fished horseshoe today from 11-1 caught a small white bass on rooster tail and i caught a 17 inch walleye on glass shad rap no crappie it got really windy

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i went to horseshoe yesterday to but it was raining and no sun. When the sun comes out the crappie are doing really good. I didnt catch anything waiting for some sunshine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts