Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.5 billion all cash deal-company will be taken private. Probably means even higher prices.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Schucks. I prefer Cabelas and I don't see this a positive for consumers, but it makes little difference in the big picture.

·
Registered
625 Posts
BP intends to take Cabela's private. the sale was pressured by an activist investor group. CAB is one of my longest held stocks. sorry to see that go and the stores turning into the one I like less. maybe there will be a good sale on branded gear.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'd imagine BPS is going to keep the Cabela's name. I wouldn't see them converting all Cabela's to BPS stores.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd imagine BPS is going to keep the Cabela's name. I wouldn't see them converting all Cabela's to BPS stores.
I don't think it'll be over night but I bet in 1.5-2 years there are no Cabela's left. mergers like this don't often leave the acquired business with an intact identity.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Agree to disagree new guy. When you have a customer base that can be somewhat polarized, loyal to BPS and not Cabela's and vice versa, I don't think they'd just extinguish a brand that has been around since 1961. Even if they did, convergence in 1.5-2 years would be overly optimistic and costly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
In this case time will tell. It is a polarized loyalty for sure. managing two brands is a bigger task. Bps will now be an effective monopoly since gander mtn is a non issue and no others have as much presence on a walk-in level.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
As of late I'd rather have bps. Good riddance. That eliminates my reason to go to Sidney.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
If only Academy Sports+Outdoors would come to town... their store brand fishing stuff is solid and affordable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
As someone with lots of experience in corporate transactions, companies commonly require their brand/name stay in tact as condition of the purchase. Its usually bargained for during the negotiation process. Who knows what happened here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts