Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few weeks im taking a trip and need to pick up a 9 ft 10wt fly rod I was down at bass pro shop looking at what they had, I saw the gold cup saltwater rods that went for 170 but they priced matched there online price of 109.

Just wondering what everyone thought of these rods it looks good, seems to cast well but no time on the water yet.

I was thinking of maybe returning the rod and buying the TFO professional rod.

One drawback is theres only a one year warr. but again only 109 dollars.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
hmmmmm....honestly id go for something in the same price range but with a LIFETIME warranty....look at the St Croixs..ive never fished a TFO, but ive heard good things about them. Saltwater fish are in a whole category of thier own, and if there are weaknesses in your gear they will be sure to exploit it---so a warranty might save you some bucks later. I cant quote prices off the top of my head, but im sure there are other alternatives out there that will fit your bill. check Cabelas or maybe or look at Bass Pro online. freshwater rods can be used in saltwater for a limited time--- and make sure you give it a good scrub down with warm soapy FRESH water and some mild wax based furniture polish when you are done. the components used in freshwater rods are different that saltwater ones and wont resist corrosion as easy. cheaper always isnt better, especially with saltwater fishing gear...so choose wisely beore you throw down your cash.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm with Rottal on this one. An 18" saltwater fish will out-run, out-last, and put almost any Colorado trout, bass or pike to shame. I've had a 7lb albie take out 240 yards in a single run. This will melt drags and break rods in no time flat. If you need a 9-10wt rod you are chasing some hefty fish, so I'd get a stout rod because the kind is usually blowing hard on the salt. The TiCR from TFO is a nice rod with the lifetime warranty, and you can find similar priced St. Croix that will serve you well. However, with saltwater fish the reel is the most critical component. I have seen cheap drags actually fuse together with the heat from salt water fish long runs.

Beware - saltwater fishing can be addictive and expensive (Nantucket stripers and albies last fall, Bonefish on Kaui last December, Florida reds/trout in 3 weeks, Alaska fresh run silvers in August.....then start all over again). You can easily spend $1000 on a quality rod, reel and et of lines. But it is worth every single penny!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry Goodtimes but I forgot a couple of things. I've owned a lot of reels and think the best $value quality reel for salt on the market is the Bauer Junior Mac (JM). It has the lightest weight, is made in the USA, has the greatest line capacity (very important in salt), a lifetime warranty, and a very strong reliable huge cork drag. It'll cost just a few dollars more than a Korean/Chinese knock off but will last a lifetime. A truly great reel in the $250 range. No, I don't work for them.

If going for fish over 15lbs or so get a reel with at least 200 yards of 30lb backing capacity, not 20lbs backing. A real Large arbor really helps. The JM has all this.

Learn to double haul quickly to rising/cruising fish, at least 65 feet. Try fishing after dark, especially around bridge lights where baitfish congregate. And depending on the species you are chasing, know the tides and moon phases and how that can impact the fishing (it can make or break it...).

Shoot me a PM or email if I can help any more....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far heres what I have

12wt timax from powell rods I have used there lower weights here for trout and bass and love them the reel is a trion reel I have seen some good reviews on them.
10wt rod gold cup now but Im leaning towards TFO with all the hype and a powell switchback reel that seems realy nice very smooth and a good drag.
8wt TBD maybe another TFO

I don't mind spending the money for a fly rod I own reddington nti and a few sages but heavy 10wt and 12wts i just dont see me using very often but I think im just man up and do it, it sound worth it. keeping it reasonable maybe a tfo or st croix any other sugg.

thanks for the huge help I love this site.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Goodtimes - I sent a long response to your PM....let me know if you got it. I sent it before reading your latest message.

The 12wt should be fine for the dorado you mentioned in the PM. You will need to head to deep water to reach them though. I've seen the Trion but have no experience with it.

8wt tbd - anything you like to cast will work. I have a barrage of rods and my main 8wt is quite surprising - an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece. You can get them on sale for $150 with just a limited warranty. But I have replaced my Scott Powerply $550 rod with this thing - it is a rocket. You can get a TFO or the FF or other rods for under $200. You say you don't mind spending money for a rod - I would recommend spending it on good reels.

You must post how your trip goes when you get back.....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Jut got transfered to the bass pro fly shop here in Denver. The gold cups aren't bad rods....stop in sometime and we'll set you up right

1 - 8 of 8 Posts