Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has all been covered before.............but I'd like up-to-date opinions.

I fish Power Pro on my baitcast............and am happy with it. But I'm thinking of putting Fireline Crystal on my spin rod with flouro leaders....instead of fishing mono. (though I will stick to 4 lb mono on my light trout rod)

QUESTION: Is Fireline Crystal worthy? Should I stick to my Power Pro? Better brands?

BTW............I was thinking crystal for less visibility and for my own good..........if it looks like mono I may not be as distacted by using it. I've really gotten use to mono on my spin reels................but last year I had to re-spool line 4 times............too much money and a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
i've only used it on baitcast reels but i like it alot... doesn't look like mono at all though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I go with Power Pro 10lb test on my spinning set up and 30lb on one of my baitcasters and 50lb test on the other. The 10lb is unbelievably strong and the diameter is the same as 2lb mono. Casts forever and sensitivity is ridiculous. And on the spinning there is no memory like the said associated mono. And occasionally I tie on a leader or Carolina rig...
I tried one spool of fireline on my bc before... as soon as I was finished fishing that day I threw all of it in the trash... even the unused portion. I will never go back to using it again. Left a mess all over my hands and was like casting striped leather...
But thats my 2c....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh yeah and stay way away from Yo-Zuri Hybrid on a spinning setup... More 'stuff' to stay away from if you ask me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
DisplacedFisherman said:
Oh yeah and stay way away from Yo-Zuri Hybrid on a spinning setup... More 'stuff' to stay away from if you ask me.
Just curious, what problems have you had with Yo-Zuri? I only use it as leader but really like it, seems very strong.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've been running yo-zuri on one of my baitcasters and I'm very happy with it. But I can see why you wouldn't want it on a spin reel, it's to stiff. BTW Berkly max sucks on a spin reel too but is ok on a baitcaster. I used some fireline last year{regular not crystal} and it's ok but I don't think it has the best knot strength. If you go to fireline over mono I would up the pound test a little bit. Which will not effect spool capacity since it's small diameter.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Power Pro w/p-line leaders! Fireline is too much like dental floss.

IMHO....Yo-Zuri hybrid has too much memory for spinning.

·
P I K E
10,097 Posts
LOL... I've used it since it came out and luv it and also still use the Fireline in the smoke. I also put the Fireline Braid on my swimbait rod and like it a lot.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I mix/match 8 or 15lb PowerPro with Yo-zuri leader (4,6,8,10,12)

I also like 3lb Crystal with 4-6-8 lb Yo-zuri leader for dropshotting, sinks like a stone and tests out to almost 8lb.

Both Fireline Crystal and PowerPro provide great feel (no stretch). Great for vertical jigging or dropshot styles.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
All my reels have PowerPro. 30/8 (yellow) on the trolling and baitcasters, 8/1 (white) on jigging. Will use flouro leaders when necessary but have found eyes dont care about the visability/color of PowerPro.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Fireline sucks! :mad: After loosing a double diget fish on it back in the early 90s I hate fire line all together.. havent payed for any since..P-line or seige brand has held up just fine..

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have had more trouble with the lighter braid getting tangled more on Power Pro (less than 10 lb test) on spinning reels than with anything 10 lbs or higher. I would stay away from the lighter lb test since it is so light and tangles easy.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Crystal has a pretty high visibility regardless of what they say. I like it though, and use it for fishing riprap at night. I've used Cabela's brand braid (Ripcord) a bunch and have not had any issues. Spiderwire ultracast I've used pretty extensively, just make sure you use a swivel if your fishing something that has the tendencey to spin. because IMO casting distance is lessened by half with the addition of line twist. I really like small diameter braid for ultralight spinning reels, casts a mile and has a high breaking strength we tested out 1lb fireline to 4# breaking strength.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wild Turkey said:
I have had more trouble with the lighter braid getting tangled more on Power Pro (less than 10 lb test) on spinning reels than with anything 10 lbs or higher. I would stay away from the lighter lb test since it is so light and tangles easy.
A couple possible solutions as I have experienced this at times...

(1) Fill the spool to about 1/8 inch of the rim on the spool...more than that and it can tangle.
(2) Flip the bail back (after a cast) by hand, not by reeling.
(3) Reeling with no tension on the line can cause tangles. Certain presentations, lures can cause this. Small jerk baits, really light jigs.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm currently using both braids. When Fireline 1st came out, I used it for a while and did not like it at all, and switched back to Power Pro. About a year ago, I decided to give Fire Line a nother chance, and believe that the product was much better than before. So far I have been satisfied with it's performance on spinning tackle and on a couple of baitcast rigs.

For all of my Muskie, Pike, and heavy Bass rigs though, it's Power Pro all the way. It casts very well and when tying knots, like back to back uni's, it seems much smoother and more positive, if you get what I mean. Plus, I've been using Power Pro for a long time, especially for Muskies. It has not failed me and I have a lot of confidance in the product.

Have always been a Power Pro fan.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 40 Posts