Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were going to use braided line would you use a light med or heavy action rod? The reason I ask is because braid has little or no stretch so if I used a heavy rod would your twitches have to be more subtle.:confused:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
match the rod to the weight of the lures you are throwing...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
gotta be more specific... the range can be huge. If you're fishing frogs, you could use a broomstick and braid... if you're trolling, you would be wise to have a noodle with braid. Be a bit more specific with technique and species and you'll get better input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run 25lb braid with a 15lb flouro leader, I catch fish every trip, I use it as a trolling set up, as well as throwing tube jigs or lures. I have it on a 6ft. Medium/heavy Fenwick, I also have a trolling set up that has the same line on it. When u go to braid u won't go back to just straight mono, I have my mono set ups as well but love fishing braid

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow you can hang yourself with 25 lb braid....

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I use 15 lb braid with 8-10-12 lb fluro leader-that covers 90% of my fishing. Worry less about the action of the rod and more about setting your drag properly. Most breakoffs are due to not retying often enough and a drag thats too tight.

And like said-once you get used to braid you'll wonder how you ever fished without it. The fluro leader is important-especially on clear water.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, maybe I over think chit a bit. The reason I was asking is because I have always used mono and and a medium rod, saying that when you set the hook you have to lay into it a bit because of line stretch and the bend of the rod. So if you use a low stretch line and a heavy rod one should't do such a dramatic hook set was all I was guessing.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Just use the same rod your used to and go with the lightest line along with good leader that matches the species you are after.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Dallas, I tie a much longer leader than most-usually 8-10 ft. Fish alot of clear water and think it helps.

·
Banned
553 Posts
My carp rods have 45lb braid and 20lb leaders. My 7'1" MHXF has 16b braid and 14lb leader. I have a smaller setup thats a 66MF and it has 10lb braid and 8lb leader but if the braids that small its like dental floss and i worry a bit. Nanofil is great but it seems to get the fuzzy fray. The power pro seems to be the best imo. The only thing you need to watch for is by the bearing on the bail shoulder arm. When you have slack and/or when clicking the bail closed with the reel it can make a horrible groove.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
There is so much to this discussion. Braid can be great for some applications, but it is definitely not the end all of line choices. I can tell some folks are convinced of this, and that is fine... I won't point out the many issues with braid because it's pointless. I will only say this, learn to use all line if you want to be a complete angler. There are specific reasons why certain line is so important for certain applications. Think topwater, think jigging, think trolling, think swimbaits, think jerks, cranks and glides. If you think one line can do all that, you are wrong and it will cost you fish.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Dallas, I tie a much longer leader than most-usually 8-10 ft. Fish alot of clear water and think it helps.
Thanks Ed. I tied an 8-10 ft leader the first time using braid. I was using 15 lb Power Pro (not the super slick) and I don't know why but I was getting air knot after air knot.

Even tying directly to the lure I have been getting air knots. Not sure why but it's been a frustrating experience trying out braided line.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Dallas, If your throwing light lures you can get air knots-also if your fishing when its windy and not casting straight downwind you can get them. I've never been a big fan of Power Pro but I know alot of guys like it-I use Suffix 832 braid and almost never get air knots. Might give it a try.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Ed,
This was my first attempt with braid. I went with Power Pro because I wanted to try hi vis line and none of the other brands had hi vis in stock.

I might give Suffix 832 a try, I've heard a lot of guys suggest it.

I was throwing a jerkbait that wasn't too light but I don't know if my double uni knot was hitting the eyes of the rod as I was casting or what but it almost sounded like something would get hung up on the casts that I got the air knots.

Anyway I'm going to keep practicing and see what gives!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
With a jerkbait you're constantly putting slack in the line and its not getting packed on the spool tightly-could be part of your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are looking for reasonably priced braid that performs well, consider USA braid. It is made in the USA and is one of the two types of braid that are made - Spectra. You can get 500 yards for $25 to $30 per spool. I order mine from Walmart online and have it delivered to a local store, so no shipping charges. I'm partial to the Orange color as I can see it easier.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have 10 or 12 pound power pro braid on my medium heavy Fenwick I use for jerking for eyes and any other fishing I do that's not hucking over sized baits. I put on 8 or 10 pound leader Berkley flouro gold with a micro kvd barrel swivel.

You still hook set like hell no matter what you use if you want to stick em imo. That's why we have drags loose for hook set and can tighten it up as needed.

Hey walleye guys that do the night fishing . Do you think tying straight to braid is why I never caught a big eye yet? I had a big fish on once that just kinda swam away not too fast then threw hook. Caught a cat fish that night so I tell myself it was a cat not a pig eye.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts