Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
these lakes are close to Ward. anybody know if ice fishing is allowed, or anything else about ice fishing their? i think brainard is run by state parks, what is the use fee? is left hand also in the fee area?

i live in lyons and am looking to lose my ice fishing virginity this weekend, i figure the ice should be good up there, probobly the closest good ice to me. anyone know?

tips or tricks?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe you can ice fish at brainard but you would have to hike almost a mile to reach them.  The close the gate off soon after the fist snow and they don't allow and atv's or snowmobiles in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here be the skinny on Brainerd. It's a 1 3/4 mile hike in, with auger and other gear it's just enough to keep most ice fisherman away. Get a sled you can pull or large backpack. The ice up there this time of year can run 2 feet thick or more so sharp blades are a must. Winter kill is also a factor, you might be too late. If not, you can catch stock trout, nothing huge, with relative ease and the view is killa'. The ice also tends to be blown free of snow, very windy up there, the likelyhood of crash & burn is high. Yet another reason to take a bud, cracked cranium in a remote area could be bad. There are snow shoers and X- country skiers around but many stick to the trails. I 've not been up there this year but it is one of my favorite early season spots. What the hell, I'll meet you up there if you'd like, if that's where you're going. Drop a line & Good luck.... Hook

1 - 4 of 4 Posts