Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry there are no pics, so I know this never happened!

The road to Brainard opened at 6:00 on Friday morning, so I hit the lake. Spent about 3.5 hours in the yak. Only fished with Kasties and only in 1 color! C/R 20 brookies, most in the14-16" range...nicest fish I've caught there in years! The wind was typical up there, with a drift from the inlet to the dam taking long enough for only 5-6 casts! Several drifts were only 3-4 casts. Had the lake to myself with the exception of a father/son team of bait dunkers on shore that caught 6 or 7 in the same time frame.

Hit it again Saturday morning and it was dead calm. Different day completely! Once again, I was the only boat on the lake. Only caught 8 in 3 hours, and most were under 10". Lots of shore fishers out on Sat. but I never saw anyone catching anything.

It was great to get on a high lake again, and only see high temps in the 70's! Would have liked to hit Lefthand Res while I was there, but the road isn't yet open I didn't feel like walking in. I did talk with a fly fisher that went in to Long Lake and said it was fishing pretty well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice! I like Brainard but it becomes a zoo at times. I like to go ice fishing there because the hike in deters most anglers. Last time I iced it both my buddy and I each caught a 17" Brookie, which is pretty damn good for that lake. Lefthand is gorgeous as well, and is probably the place I will take my 4 year old to have him catch his first trout. I have never caught anything big out of there, but we almost always do well for numbers.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Those are some nice trout! Really miss the Brainard Lake area. Nice location and trails. Thanks for sharing! I didn't think they allowed bait there so I would say you outfished huckers!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Get a small drift sock for your kayak. It will slow you way down in the wind. Just run it off the front or the back depending upon which direction you want to face. Always pretty up there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts