Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to brainard lake yesterday afternoon (when i realized i was wasting my Sunday watching the donkey game) took out the belly boat and caught 5 nice brookies ranging from 8-12 inches, all were caught on a #12 adams, beautiful fish, the last one i caught was the biggest, had a belly full of eggs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NW of Boulder, it's a smaller lake and is only about 8 feet deep, but it offers great scenery and holds some good size brookies, there is also bows and cuttys but all i caught were the brooks

Directions:
Take Highway 72 north from Nederland, approximately eight miles to Ward. Turn west on Forest Road 112 and travel about three miles to the Brainard Lake Recreation area (there is an entrance fee). The lake is two miles farther in the center of the recreation area, just outside of the eastern boundary of the Indian Peaks Wilderness.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was up there yesterday, hiking with wife, not fishing. Saw you from a distance, I think, (were you on the water about 5.30 pm? I was jealous!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Fishinguitars --- There are actually a few lakes up there. Blue, Long, Red Rock (or fern ?  ??? ), and Isabell. There are more, I just can't think of their names. Lake Isabell is one of the most photographed lakes in Colorado, but the whole place is gorgeous. I recommend bring a canoe/kayak/tube to Long Lake. It's a 1/2 mile walk, but you won't deal w/ alot of other anglers.
Also, it closes early (short season), so there will be a hike, but no fee/crowd.
I take the dogs x-ing skiing there all winter. The leash rule isin't in affect till spring.  ;D
Even if you couldn't take dogs on hikes, the scenery rivals RMNP! 

Brad --- Nice report. Thanks.   

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amster- yeah i was there from about 4:00 - 7:30. it was a beautiful day (even for a hike with the wife) :D

fishinguitars- yeah i want to try some of those other lakes, i saw red rock there off to the side of the road, i hear getting in and out of red rock can be tough ??? ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts