Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up a togiak float tube and have never fished out of one any tips you all can share with me

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Are you spin or fly fishing out of it? either way walk backwards in your fins.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fly fishing as usual lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
don't let the togiak color your opinion of float tubes. I had one and hated it. A miserable tube to fish out of, IMO. I would have given mine to you for free, just to be rid of it. A FishCat is a much better platform to fish from.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clark what did you not like about it
i found it to be well layed out and will find out about fishing thursday at spinney

·
Registered
377 Posts
Always wear a wading belt and a PFD. Have been in wind a time or two where I thought I might actually flip over and you don't want to end up in the water with waders filling fast watching your tube do cartwheels across the lake.

If the seat ends up too low for you, duct tape a square boat cushion on it to elevate 3-4".

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
don't let the togiak color your opinion of float tubes. I had one and hated it. A miserable tube to fish out of, IMO. I would have given mine to you for free, just to be rid of it. A FishCat is a much better platform to fish from.
Just what a guy wants to hear after a new purchase and excited to use it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not worried I think it is perfect and will use the hell out of it

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've got a couple of them and they are very handy. I prefer my one man pontoon but the Togiak is much more compactable. I second the idea for a square boat cushion on top of your seat to give you a little more height. Anything to get you off shore is better than sitting just out of reach of the big one! Also you will have a small window of getting used to steer and propel yourself with the fins. Don't work to hard to go anywhere too fast and just relax and have fun.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Pay attention to the wind direction in south park and always be prepared for it to increase and change to blowing you away from your vehicle. I can't think of a time when I was ever worried about flipping in eiter my pontoon or belly boat. And I have been out when the waves started breaking across my shoulders.. I dont wear a PFD but I do wear a wading belt and cinch down the elastic at the top.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I prefer my pontoon most of the time, but in high winds I actually like the float tub better. It is easier to hold position with the lower profile and my ass in the water.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Remember that you can find yourself a lot further from where you were in a hurry. Pay attention to the shoreline and where you are. it's not usually hard to move it, but when the wind comes up it can move you pretty quickly!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Def wear a PFD... I have to disagree with clarko... I owned a fishcat and I didn't like it because I sat so high that my fins splashed out of the water. I also didn't like the seat. I had a togiak first and then got the fishcat... sold the fishcat and went back to the togiak. I liked the way I sat in the water...being a bit lower, I could cover more water easier and not make noise doing it. Fighting the wind was easier too. This was just my preference, I am sure others prefer sitting high for casting purposes. I have a long ass torso, so it was never a problem. I also liked how the adjustment for the back support worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts