Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend bought a new lund so we took it on it's maiden voyage on pueblo today, it was nice out this morning, before the wind came up. we headed west and found lots of fish mostly shad and carp but I did get a hook up and boated a 21 inch eye, then a bit later I put an 18 incher in the box. the smaller fish spit up a 5 inch shad. the water has gone down 4-5 feet and the temp was 55 deg. the trick today was leadcore and a flicker shad on the bottom

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Byron are you going to be out practicing for the tourney today? If so what boat will you be in? I am leaving right now.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I got into them a little at 20 to 25 feet. No keepers though. I caught males that were still milting?

Caught more bass than walleye's. The spots were up shallower yesterday and pretty active!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got into them a little at 20 to 25 feet. No keepers though. I caught males that were still milting?

Caught more bass than walleye's. The spots were up shallower yesterday and pretty active!

Neil if you PPM me your camp site number for next week and the dates I will drop in for a chat before the tourney.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
stupid question

trying to put together a lead line setup for walleyes, so fishing a flicker shad that dives 15' how much leader and lead do you run to get to say 37' deep? love flicker shads action and they catch walleyes put I have no clue how to use them with lead core. sounds like a good way to fish eyes 20+ deep. we had a guy at powell a couple of weeks ago put on a show using this techniques at 25+ foot, kicked everybodys butt big time.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trying to put together a lead line setup for walleyes, so fishing a flicker shad that dives 15' how much leader and lead do you run to get to say 37' deep? love flicker shads action and they catch walleyes put I have no clue how to use them with lead core. sounds like a good way to fish eyes 20+ deep. we had a guy at powell a couple of weeks ago put on a show using this techniques at 25+ foot, kicked everybodys butt big time.
not a stupid question, but no good answer. I would need a bunch more info.

I use 18 lb leadcore and 14 lb floro as a leader most of the time for eyes I use 12-18 feet with flicker shad. now how much leadcore to put out? what size flicker shad? how fast are you trolling? , to the tenth? now are you using a color change at the reel or at the rod tip or at the water. there are so many things that change by the moment, it is impossible to answer this question. the way I do it is find a clean bottom and let out till you touch bottom. that will give you an idea. I always make bottom contact every minute or so
if the fish are on bottom, if they are suspended let out so you are above the fish, then let out in 1/2 color increments till you catch a fish then repeat that color each time. flicker shad are very forgiving when you bounce them off the bottom so when you hit bottom reel up 2 turns at a time till you no longer feel the bump. walleyes on the bottom need you to hit them on the nose to get them to bite sometimes, if they are a foot or two up from the bottom they bite much better and if they are 10 feet or more up they are looking for food I hope this helps you out. you can pm me if you have any questions

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
thanks Byron for the help. I have used the lead line for 25 years trolling for kokes but the walleye game with it is a new one so I need to spend some time playing with it, apprieciate your your help. Bob

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Bobco

On youtube there is a bunch of videos like this one if you search walleyes and leadcore...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts