Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
coleman and george got to my place about 6:30 and after changing out my batteries to AGMs we hit the water at 7 AM headed to the honey hole to look for some of Kyle's buddies. coleman was the man today with a wiper ( first of the season) and a 16" spot. the spot came on a thinfin and the wiper was caught on one of colemans secret lures. the water temp was 49.7 where i looked. ran into my friend pete out there and he didn't have any luck, but he is breaking in a new boat and motor, so i think he was going for a boat ride more than fishing. we came off at about 2PM. coleman was saying he might smoke that wiper MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM i can taste it now

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice Byron/Coleman!! We were out there on another guys boat...it was notta' for us though (fished from like 7am til' noon).

D.J.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great job Byron...being unoily fish do they smoke up good?...I cant imagine smoking like a walleye but maybe someone has tried it...just figured it would work better with a trout or salmon...heck smoking might even make lake trout edible and if not you'd have tomato fertilizer that wouldnt go bad...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
walleye seeker said:
Mark
the only way i will eat trout is smoked. when you smoke walleye or wiper you need to cold smoke it. hold the temp to 100deg or less if you can
Wow thanks Byron, never heard of that...ya learn something new every day...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't think my vertical propane smoker would make smoke at that temp. I like wiper's cajun style. Peppers, onions and garlic. Then blacken the wiper. Pretty damn good. Since it's a little fishy the peppers and onions tone it down a notch.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
yeah, unless you have a seperate heat chamber it needs to be around 140* to make smoke. i have a verticle smoker as well and counter the heat needed by coating the fish w/olive oil and always use a pan of liquid in the smoker... works well and always nice and moist ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I heard once upon a time that if you didn't reach a certain temperature when smoking foods, you could introduce a risk of botulism. Myth?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
not a myth... if you smoke at low temps it is recommended that you finish cooking in the oven until the temp reaches 140-160* in the thickest part of the meat.

W

·
0 Posts
I had always been under the impression that "cold smoking" as refernced by WS, takes approx 24 hours if done properly. Cold smoking actually preserves the fish, as opposed to hot, or conventional, smoking which is done in a couple hours.

I've seen cold smokers that generate smoke in a box and then route it through tubing to a seperate box that houses the fish.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Captain America said:
I had always been under the impression that "cold smoking" as refernced by WS, takes approx 24 hours if done properly. Cold smoking actually preserves the fish, as opposed to hot, or conventional, smoking which is done in a couple hours.

I've seen cold smokers that generate smoke in a box and then route it through tubing to a seperate box that houses the fish.
any form of smoking alone isn't what preserves the fish... drying thoroughly is the key to long term preservation and can be achieved by curing (salting) the meat.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Captain America said:
I had always been under the impression that "cold smoking" as refernced by WS, takes approx 24 hours if done properly. Cold smoking actually preserves the fish, as opposed to hot, or conventional, smoking which is done in a couple hours.I've seen cold smokers that generate smoke in a box and then route it through tubing to a seperate box that houses the fish.
^---This is cold smoking.
I actually like wiper, striper and white bass- crab stuffed and oven baked. Not cheap, but super delicious.
Gut and scale fish, (not many people know this but if you soak striper and white bass in milk for one or two hours it doesnt have a fishy flavor at all, if you like the fishy flavor dont waste the milk) coat in light oil season inside and out with salt and pepper, place thinly sliced lemon and small pieces of butter inside cavity before crab stuffing
Take 1lb lump crab meat, 2 eggs whisked, 1/2 c panko bread crumbs (cracker meal is best, but good luck finding it here), 1 t old bay, 1/2 t dry mustard, 1t dry dill, 1t mayo, pinch of salt and pepper, mix togeather
-stuff crab mixture inside cavity ontop of lemon slices

Wrap with aluminium foil with room to steam, place on a baking tray and place in a 375-400 degree oven and depending on the size of the fish, 12-30 minutes. To check doneness take a fork and just stick it right next to the spine in the thickest part of the fish, if you pull towards you and the flesh flakes and pulls off easily your good to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts