Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good thing to do when fishing is to break tradition and start a new technique. You may surprise yourself. It just may be the secret that makes you the best angler out there some days. Do not be closed-minded and try the same techniques every time out, your results will not vary. Just a thought. I also would like if some of you would give examples on how you've broken tradtion, and had success with a new technique.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I couln't agee more. This past June I was at  Spinney Mtn. and had fish all around me. They were eating some type of very small insects on the top in shallow, 1' or so deep water, and I couldn't coax them to eat anything I presented.  In frustration, I put on the biggest ugliest foam grasshopper I own and splashed it into the water. Almost immediatly a 19 1/2" rainbow gulped it up like he was waiting all day for that offering. I guess sometimes matching the hatch is not a necessity.
I fish saltwater a lot and we change colors sizes and types of lures every 10-15 casts until we find out what they want. The same can be said for off shore trolling, using 4 baits it doesn't hurt to have 4 different presentations.
Sometimes you feel like a steak and sometimes you just want a hot dog.......the fish don't always want the same thing also.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I remember one time when I was fishing for Pike at Elevenmile. I was throwing my usual jerk bait and I wasn't catching anything. The weather was different that day though a huge cold front had come through and had dropped the temp 30 degrees. I decided to down size down to a tiny jerk bait. When i say tiny I mean tiny. It was maybe 1 and 1/2 inches long. I had been fishing Elevenmile hard all year so i knew I was on top of fish so I just refished everything i had fished earlier. Lets just say the pike responded to the lure change. Three fish roughly 25 pounds all together. It was a tough day that I turned into a successful one in the end.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice waterwolves! Whadley, I wonder if that trout just thought maybe a HUGE grasshopper just got blown into the water and he greedily slurped it up, despite other food. Good story.
Yesterday, I was fishing pike depths/location that seemed to me usually superb for any lake, especially one like this. The first dropoff off of the shore and on either side of the weededge, one side 5 fow the other side 11 fow were where I was fishing. No bites in two different areas of the lake in similar spots for several hours, during the prime time. I had shoreline contour, cover, depth, and forage (read, bluegill and carp) down. What was I missing? I had no idea except that the PIKE WEREN'T BITING or they weren't there. I noticed a few people getting a few flags seemingly out in the middle of nowhere on the lake in 13-18 fow. So I did this and it worked. I still don't know why but it did. It made no sense to me and it still doesn't :D We also got a pike when it was pitch black yesterday too................

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have read of people marking big pike out in the middle of no where sometimes in as much as 40-50 FOW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts