Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a box of spider wire and have never used braided line b4. What attracted me to braided line was the diameter, i.e. 15lb of briaded line was equal to a 4 lb mono diameter. Are there any other advantages to briaded besides the increase line strength in a smaller diameter? What are the disadvantages?

·
Registered
699 Posts
the first big bonus i noticed when i switched was sensitivity man is that stuff nice when a fish hits it you know it right now but you need to learn how to set the hook a little lighter or you will yank it right out of there mouths lol no stretch does that also make sure your god has good metal guides or you will eat right through them i know from experiance and check the guides alot for wear but i think you will like it

·
Registered
664 Posts
this topic has been discussed to death here...do a search on this site for it.

I use power pro braided with a 3' mono leader tied on the end.

advantages: no memory
strong
extremely sensitive
no stretch
very long lasting

disadvantages: some will say it doesn't cast as far, I don't agree.

everyone has their own opinion

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I honestly can say that I have never tried braided line (and I am 25). I am a fan of mono only because that is all I have ever used and had success with it. You hear so many good things about braided that I guess it is time I give it a try. With ice fishing season about over, I will get my summer gear out this weekend and put braided on the reel.

Q: Do you prefer using braided line for certain species or for everything?

M

·
0 Posts
I use spider wire on my baitcasting reels. I like it because it is more durable on fish with teeth. The disadvantage is you have to learn how to tie a knot so it doesn't slip when you tighten it, it is so thin, it can dig into your skin when you check your knots, and you can't cut it with your teeth (bad habit of mine).

Another disadvantage with traditional braided line is if you use cheap gear, it will cut into stuff like your guides which will lead to more wear and more break offs.

I think it's terrific stuff.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
azbassernco said:
when a fish hits it you know it right now but you need to learn how to set the hook a little lighter or you will yank it right out of there mouths lol no stretch
Ive been using braided just recently on open water, i think ur right about ripping it out of their mouths. I lost a couple big fish the other day at chatfield

I use Pline 15lb w/ cfx 8lb flouro leader - originally bought it for deep lakers in order to set hook harder. kind of the opposite but on 90ft of line in ice there is rebound time so it worked great & was very sensitve deep - pulled fat lakers up easy too

Using a floro leader makes it easier tie lures on too, no scissors necessary

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Fireline. I love it. The only thing I don't like about the braided is when you have to clip the left over from your knots. If your clippers are even a little dull the line just frays. Or am I the only one with this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
when i use to use fireline and get stuck and i mean stuck
i would feel so bad about having to cut it and having to lose that
much string what do you guys do when you get it stuck that bad

M

·
0 Posts
fishingkats said:
what do you guys do when you get it stuck that bad
Honestly, it doesn't happen that often. The stuff is so strong and stubborn that usually, if I get stuck on a snag, it will pull in the snag. A lot of times, you will also get your lure back with bent hooks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
waterfowler said:

Q: Do you prefer using braided line for certain species or for everything?
i use it for every thing and your right about the clippers lol i use spider wire my self

and about getting stuck hell if your rod is strong enough do like we did in az for bass of all kinds and cats just keep pulling stright with no bend in the rod and eventually you will move the rock pull out the tree or straighten the hook lol many of my hooks were straightened this way lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've said it B4, IMO, Fireline is the $$it..period. It casts like a dream, no stretch, strong as he$$..use the line keeper adhesive strip that comes on new spool to keep from spinning when first putting it on your reel. Excellent for fly-bubble fishing...Fireline thru cheapie clear bubble tied off with barrel and Vanish flouro for leader.
ONLY disadvantage as mentioed prior is you can't bite off tag end of knot..[I've cut my self with the stuff]
I haven't used mono as main line since F/line came out. Try it and I personally guarantee you won't go back to mono either..can troll with it, jig with it etc.etc.etc.
Anywayz...TrophyTime...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I had never used anything but mono so I got some 8 lb. Stren super braid and loaded up a rod that I usually only use for bottom fishing. I have to say I am not happy with it. It definitely will not cast as far as it did with 14 lb. mono. The surface of the line feels rough and I think maybe the friction through the rod guides may be what makes the difference in the casting.

Another thing about the braids is that the manufacturers lie to you about the diameter. The 8 lb braid was claimed to be equivalent to 2 lb mono. I put a micrometer on it and it is closer to 4 lb mono.

The rod with braid on it has now become my least used rod. I really dislike that stuff and will stick to mono after this.

I would consider the braid for a trolling rod, though, I think that might be where it would be at its best.

·
Registered
91 Posts
W.E. I'm tellin' ya..try Fireline, don't know about Spiderwire, Stren Super Braid, Gorilla Braid or any of the others because I am totally sold on Fireline. Persoanl experience purt near every weekend.. Have outfished mono purists sitting right next to me...anywayz..TrophyTime

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
another thing I noticed on my setup (braided w/ floro leader)

the blood knot between floro and braid has to be exactly almost perfect

a perfect close cut has to be made on braided tag, otherwise the tiny leftover frayed piece would make casting hang up sometimes. I almost smacked my buddy the other day in boat with a rapala, he called me "crazyman". then I lost that rapala in middle of chatfield later in day, hung up and it flew away. Ive lost about $20 in lures because of that, lost a $3 kastmaster yesterday trying to whip it into wind, hung up on rod somewhere and lure was gone with a loud pop.

I agree with the snag issue, I brought some big sticks in. was impressed. was actually glad i snagged em too because theyre out of the water now

Casting seems to be the same (on spin gear), all in all i believe the reel is more a factor there.

i havnt noticed any wear on rod guides yet, I guess Ill be watching .. thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
first year i went to braid i ruined 5 sets of guides on a 8ft daiwa mh one peice graphite rod that ran me about 450 buck thats when i got smart and got top of the line coated guides

1 - 20 of 54 Posts