Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went in the evening, just got a new fly rod and reel, what a way to start out i caught 54 crappie, two bass and a bluegill , nothing huge 8 to 12 inches but by far my best day on a flyrod, i used beadehead drakes and copper johns, anything worked

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its the rec pond, im catch and release type guy, expect for certing fish, but i release everything in that pond

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Wow that small lil pond got that many fish in there thats amazing. When i went earlier i caught some small catfish really small. Thats a good place to learn how to fly fish theres no one around to laugh at me lol.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, its ok im brand new too, i just try, im hopeing to catch some salmon in gunnison next month that would be my ultimate dream

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just started fly fishing awhile ago, i did alot of it below estes dam int the big thompson with alot of luck with the caddis fly, or scuds, but i just keep practiceing i want some kokanee i have some heavy tippet and some bright flys

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I just got back fished for about 2 hours. Couldnt get anything to bite my twister tail. So i thought about your post kokaneeking and i tied a clear bubble bobber with a fly at the end of it. I caught 2 crappies with this method. First time ever catching fish this way. So does this make me a fly fisherman now? Also caught 3 catfish on the bottom with crawfish tails.

You weren't lying when you said the crappies are small man.

I wish i had my camera on me. You would of had to see this to believe me. I tossed out my fly and right when it hit the water, a dragon fly attacks it. The dragon fly is going crazy, while im wonder what's going on. LOL i pull up my line and i caught a dragon fly. Fisher32 was right next to me and witnessed the whole thing.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
there should be an award for that

man that is realy fly fishing

next time remeber the camera

N

·
0 Posts
Hey Kok King,
You don't need heavy tippet for the Kokes in CO. I use 5x. They really aren't that big, just learn how to play your fish on the flyrod(its just a dance). I have caught browns on 6x that are bigger than any Koke in the state. If you want a real(and easy) flyfishing experience for salmon. Go to the PacWest, catch some real salmon. There is nothing like feeling a 20 pound Chinook on the end of your 8wt. IMO salmon are one of the funnest fish to catch on the flyrod(only Tarpon,ahhh yes.... the poon, come before). If you want specific directions to some great rivs in the PacWest just drop me a line. I promise i will get you into some big fish in small water. Honestly, there are fish(Chis,Doggies,Coho, this year pinks on the 5 wt, and Steelies) that are better than sex. Remember these names. Wallace, Cascade,Sauk,Stillaguamish, Skykomish,Skokomish, Nooksack,Green(yes as in the Green river killer), and the Chehalis.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hook a 40+# yellowfin tuna on a fly rod and you will wonder if your reel will melt they dont jump like a tarpon but they run with the wind and taste great to boot

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks troutbum for the info, i appreciate it , i dont know if im ready for the real salmon, im off to gunnison, ill give a report when i get back, hooknline congrats on the crappie they are small but fun to catch if you want big fish out of brighton pond use chicken liver you will get huge cats, my brother and freind caught two one went 30 inches and the other 34 inches and im not joking

T

·
0 Posts
Was up there with the kids today. Nada.

No bites or anything. Working the fly with a bubble. Kids throwing poppers. No hits. Did see some bullheads surface.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just about all the ponds this time of year (Brighton, Pella, Big Thompson, Josh's . . .) are fin-to-fin with crappie, etc. I always (with bubble'n'fly of course) catch a batch, and the occasional confused little bass. If it should happen that they are slow on just flies, and where baiting is permitted, just put a tiny piece of bacon onto the hook end of a small fly and you won't be able to cast and retrieve [very very slowly] without a strike. I enjoy catching the little bluegill, suns, etc., especially on ultralight. It's good for youngsters, too, when you want them to squeal with delight because they are getting a lot of fish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts