Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to go swimming with this bad boy?  Alligator Gar caught in Oklahoma.  Absolutely incredible.  These pics were emailed to me.  I don't know what they were using for bait or even who these guys are.  Just thought I would share.  327 LBS!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wow, that thing is amazing! I know those things get big but that has got to be close or over the state record. Wonder how long it took to get it in.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah, i heard they were using the good ol mickey mouse standard with 200 pound test. . . . . .I mean rope. ;D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ya I did not even notice that. In the second they both have their bows out. Talk about a fight on your hands! Wonder if they had a boom stick or a .357!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is seriously wicked. I never noticed the bows. wow

D

·
0 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
And they kept it? What a bunch of dickz!!!!  >:D

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
::) I think Oklahoma can get along with 1 less 9' alligator gar. And it's a little tough to do catch & release with a bow & arrow. ;D

M

·
0 Posts
I've heard Alligator Gar is actually not bad. Was half serious when I said probably tastes like chicken - no different than frogs legs. I remember seeing it in some cajun dishes - not sure if around town (like Bayou Bob's) or down in Texas. Been too long since I've eaten like a Cajun!

D

·
0 Posts
I grew up in SE Kansas and we caught a lot of long nose gar, but I never did eat one and I never did hear of anyone else eating one. I think I heard once as a kid that commercially netted gar were used in preparation of fish sticks, but I have no idea whether there is any truth to that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts