Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About thirty years ago, I built my first and only fly rod. It is on a 9' graphite Fisher blank.

Two years ago, I crushed the tip section between the third and fourth snake guides below the tip guide. Because I made this rod, I want to save it if possible. There are no pieces missing. If you have ever bent a 1/4" wood pine dowel, you cannot break it completely. It splinters. That's how this broken area is.

I couldn't come up with a way to repair other than to wrap the section, above and below the bad area, with 3/0 tying thread. I know this won't hold so I'm looking for other ideas. If I use a two part epoxy, which will cure hard, the rod may break above or below the epoxy because there is no flexibility.

Any suggestions?

Is there any flexibility in the epoxy?

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
I tried fixing a fly rod that exact problem. I wrapped it and it broke just below the fix.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I see two choices 1st with would probably look ugly is put a sleeve over the bad spot, I did this with a spinning rod once it work but did loose some action. second you could make it into a shorter stick but again probably loose a lot

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
littlemac, earlier today, someone gave the the same suggestion to install a sleeve so that will be my goal. I will go to a Goodwill store and find a graphite fly rod or a spinning rod if no fly rods are available. I can cut the proper length then use my Dremel tool to slice the piece. I will wrap but will not apply epoxy except where the wrapping begins and ends to keep it from raveling. I'm not concerned about losing a little action and I don't want to make a shorter rod. I have other fly rods. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts