Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day of highs and lows. First the lows-I lost several of my favorite cranks and my kayak paddle broke. I just bought the paddle a month ago so now I'm back to using my old, less state of the art one. ::)

Now for the highs-caught a bunch of bass. The biggest one I measured was 18"+ and most of the others were over 12". Threw cranks and senkos. All the fish seemed shallow, mostly on wind blown points in less than 5' water. Water temp was 58 in the am and warmed to 62 by the time I left.

Got to see about 4 people get their cars and trucks stuck in the mud which is always good entertainment and I got muddy as heck myself dragging the kayak down to the water. Only one other guy was out there in a pontoon boat. Gonna go back Sunday. The pm bite once the water warms is better than the early am bite.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i had the same experience with the bass being shallow there. And the mud...

My bro and i are gonna go back down there next week, i'd like to see if i can hook up with a walley, if i do, it'l be a first, otherwise, we'll hit the bass.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of walleye in there-didn't get any today but theres usually a good fall bite. But their mostly small-under 15".

Forgot to mention-I had a first today. Was fishing with two rods in the kayak today. I was throwing a senko and had a crankbait on the other rod which was just sitting in the kayak with the crank a few inches down in the water. A nice trout came up and hit the crank and hooked himself. He almost pulled the rod in the water but I grabbed it just in time. I guess that goes on the highs side of things.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sounds like a good day on the water... the weather was pretty nice today to, to bad I slept all day. 18" Largemouth is a monster for brush hollow, and atleast you noticed your rod going into the water intime. I say that happen on bass center once they were filmin a tournament and the dude set his rod down in the boat to put his trolling motor into the water and the crank bait was hanging over in the water and all of the sudden his rod started moving towards the water he grabbed it a reeled in his first bass of the day... you know its good fishing when you dont have to throw your lure at the fish they come to you.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
From Penrose, travel 2 miles north on Highway 115, 2 miles west on County Road 123. Signs will get you to boatramp which according to the latest reports is well out of the water right now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Went to the Hollow on Saturday, a bit windy but nice and warm. Started fishing by the end of the boat ramp, no luck so we moved to the other side of the lake. BINGO, we must have caught 25 perch, 10 bass, and 2 nice rainbows on spinners and a worm and bobber. All the perch were tiny, 4 and 5 inches, but just a butt load of them. Both rainbows hit a small yellow and red roostertail. All in all a good day of fishing. By the way, the lake is so low it's scary. The fish must be stacked on top of each other. Does anyone know when they usually stop drawing and start filling?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Someone mentioned they sometimes move some water down from skaugway to put a little bit back in there.
By perch do you mean bluegills/sunfish? brim? I've only caught 2 perch there and they were super tiny but I have caught hundreds of bluegill/sunfish.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
before i left they were already bringing a bit of that water down but not as much as was being with drawn

·
Registered
247 Posts
All the perch (skinny and long with black vertical strips over yellow background) i have caught there have been about 3-4 inches long. I did see one swimming around that was about 12 inches long.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeremy-You headed back there-I plan on going back Thur or Fri after its warmed up a little. Look for a blue kayak if you go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm not going to be able to get down their till Sunday. My Bro and I will be there with my greene old town canoe transported with my blue dodge dakota.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
Epic, I mean PERCH, as in the relative to the walleye.  They were tiny, but nonetheless, they were perch.
Kewl, Were any of them bigger then 6 inches? I think the ones I caught were around 3-4 inches.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The walleye in there will go ga-ga over those perch, especially when water temps drop near 50. Can you say perch colored cranks and jerks?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts